Canada Canada Truck Governors

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Has anybody heard what Canada has said lately about that law they passed about govenors being required on all trucks coming into Ontario? It was suposed to be governed at something like 60mph. Just wondering if they have set a date that you have to have it by?

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Its on hold again.They are waiting to see what the US comes up with.Yep our goverment is studying this also.ATA has brought up the split speed limit issues.If you slow down the trucks and not the cars you could have some serious safty issues.I can see lots of problems with merging traffic in high traffic areas.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
As far as I know they have not yet passed the law. It does have the support of the Ministry of Transport and the Ontario Trucking Assoc and other agencies. So more than likely it will be tabled as a law sometime this year. The speed limit proposed was 105kph or 65mph.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to determine if it means speedometer indicated or actual speed (more than likely indicated). Many fleet operators want this as well claiming it will level the playing field. Unfortunately not all speedos read the same so some trucks will be doing 61mph and others 67mph. To go faster put on bigger tires and you'll gain a couple of mph if they go with indicated.
Rob Fis

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Daily News Thursday, April 20, 2006
Speed limiters part of a fuel efficient plan

Management Strategy
By: Steven Macleod
OTTAWA, Ont. -- Skyrocketing fuel prices have the trucking industry aggressively trying to maximize fuel efficiency wherever possible, says Canadian Trucking Alliance CEO David Bradley.

"CTA and the provincial trucking associations are seeking the mandatory activation of speed limiters on all trucks operating in Canada to conserve fuel," says Bradley. "We are calling upon the federal government to renew and improve the Natural Resources Canada rebate program for the purchase of auxiliary power units to reduce engine idling; and we want all the provincial governments to agree to weight allowances for the installation of anti-idling and anti-emissions devices so payload is not impaired."

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the "all trucks operating in Canada" part of this is going to be a very hard sell. Someone that runs out west is not going to want to castrate their truck that heavily.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
I agree highwaystar. I think it will be a tough sell in the U.S.
Your major companies wouldn't be hurt by it too much, but your owner ops will. More miles means more money and when your going slower it will eat up more time on your log book as well. I don't think they have thought about that issue though. We lose enough time already at the shipper's and consignee's. Oh well though wait and see right?

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
P.S another thought is if they pass this in Canada and not in the U.S then wouldn't it be feasable to say that trucks will just say I'm not going to Canada. I know I brought this issue up with the higher ups at Conway Now (oops Conway Expedite), and they said that if this law passed just in Canada then they wouldn't make it a requirement that your go to Canada. So maybe it might be a blessing in disguise.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Here you go Danny O this is your chance for your dream come true, I wont be allowed into Canada with out this. So will alot of other O/Os.

Wonder how they plan on surviving up there without trucks to deliver goods? Transfere everything over here maybee?

Such a perfect Government to impose such a rule on its drivers.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI

The strange thing is alot of O/O are for this.They beleive it will level the playing field.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it comes to pass, the consumer will be the loser. Companies including Canadian carriers will hike their prices to operate there.
Still a hard sell if American operators decide against it. There currently isn't enough Canadian operators to subsidize all the US trucks that enter Canada.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator