Canada CANADA DAY & Other Holidays

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was following the thread on detention pay and noted that somebody tried to deliver on Easter Monday not knowing it was a holiday here in Canada. (Note; in a career spanning over 30 years I have never had Easter Monday; only government employees, teachers and it's in some union contracts)

We are nearing the middle of June so I thought I would post about the other holidays that are held in Canada and not in the States.

CANADA DAY is July 1. Since this falls on a Saturday most places will close Monday July 3 in lieu. Please check with the consignee if delivering on Friday June 30 though; some places might take that instead.

CIVIC HOLIDAY (called Simcoe Day in some locations) is the first Monday in August. The first Monday falls on the 7th of August.

LABOUR DAY is the first Monday in September the same as in the States.

THANKSGIVING is the first Monday in October.

REMEMBERANCE DAY - November 11 is a holiday in the western provinces of Alberta and British Columbia

CHRISTMAS DAY - December 25 of course..and..
BOXING DAY December 26is a full public holiday as well.

Please be aware of these days so if you are sent to Canada you will know whether or not to charge detention.

late for dinner

Expert Expediter
Thanks, RobA. It's a shame that most of us in the states know very little about Canada, while most people from Canada know more about the US than we do.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks Rob,

Bumping this back up. I didn't know most of these either!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

Ability is what you're capable of doing...
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it. (Lou Holtz)
-------------------

---------