Canada Canada Customs

races

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wish the US guards was as friendly as the Canadians. The US guards makes me feel like a crimminal just for coming back to my own country. :mad:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I noticed the same thing, I even told that to the Canadian guards. I told them they were always friendly and going back to the states empty was more trouble then entering Canada loaded. They of course smiled and thanked me for my comment. Sometimes I'm nervous that they won't let me back into the US. But, as I do the border crossing thing more often, it actually is getting better. They don't even ask me all the questions anymore. They just want their $10.75

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
when I crossed all the time...3-6 times a week you get de-sensitized to the crap...The "question of the Day"...Most times it went well....or so it seemed...The worst times for Canada is when they put on summer students...man...dot every I and cross every T....they pick on the smallest details...LOL

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They also have your recent border crossing history and know you cross frequently.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To get a FAST card, isn't that something your carrier has to do? Can I get one on my own? The transponder is January 1st to January 1st so it's too late to get one this year.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
To get a FAST card, isn't that something your carrier has to do? Can I get one on my own? The transponder is January 1st to January 1st so it's too late to get one this year.
not if you can do about 17 more cross border loads...it would pay for itself....is it still about 220$?....

or fill an application thru your carrier..and border services will call you for an interview...and need to be fingerprinted

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, still around $220. Some weeks I cross 4-5 times and then don't cross for a couple of weeks. My carrier only has a few with passports willing to do this so I can make some DH demands and get more per mile for the entire trip. They have already sent me to Canada, had me sit in Fargo and had other trucks bring me freight to cross into Canada. When they make me wait for other trucks and transfer freight, I charge them $50 per transfer and wait time. Canada has been pretty good for me. I think I'll ask them to provide the transponder this fall for next year.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, still around $220. Some weeks I cross 4-5 times and then don't cross for a couple of weeks. My carrier only has a few with passports willing to do this so I can make some DH demands and get more per mile for the entire trip. They have already sent me to Canada, had me sit in Fargo and had other trucks bring me freight to cross into Canada. When they make me wait for other trucks and transfer freight, I charge them $50 per transfer and wait time. Canada has been pretty good for me. I think I'll ask them to provide the transponder this fall for next year.

You must be with the big Cat...They made this mistake way back......2 pieces of ID 1 with picture is all that is legally required to enter the US on the ground....a passport is required for air travel....

I have crossed many times with no passport and not even a citizen here....
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

If a U.S. citizen traveling to Canada does not have a passport, passport card, or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

re entering the US

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air.

For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you cross into Canada without a passport also? I have turned down loads to Alaska because the retired person I was going to take along for backup didn't have a passport. By the way, the loads to Alaska always pay full rate both directions.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you cross into Canada without a passport also? I have turned down loads to Alaska because the retired person I was going to take along for backup didn't have a passport. By the way, the loads to Alaska always pay full rate both directions.

Yes sir...as it says...birth certificate and Dr. License...that is it...even an expired US passport works...

Monty

Expert Expediter
Sometime in Feburary a few years back I took a load to Canada via Detroit. Landstar was sure I'd be stopped. I had just gotten back from Aruba and did not have the passport in the van.

Drove up to the window on the Canadian side, girl asks me for my ID ... gave her my DL and TWIC card ... told her, "I'm sorry, I forgot my Passport." She asked why, and as the wind was blowing cold, swirling snow around ... I told her "I had just returned from 2 weeks in hot, sunny Aruba."

She looked at me and said, "You are NOT helping your case here!"

Then she smiled and said she herself had just gotten back from 2 weeks in Cuba ... and I should try to remember my passport next time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sometime in Feburary a few years back I took a load to Canada via Detroit. Landstar was sure I'd be stopped. I had just gotten back from Aruba and did not have the passport in the van.

Drove up to the window on the Canadian side, girl asks me for my ID ... gave her my DL and TWIC card ... told her, "I'm sorry, I forgot my Passport." She asked why, and as the wind was blowing cold, swirling snow around ... I told her "I had just returned from 2 weeks in hot, sunny Aruba."

She looked at me and said, "You are NOT helping your case here!"

Then she smiled and said she herself had just gotten back from 2 weeks in Cuba ... and I should try to remember my passport next time.

Passport is the easiest way...but not required....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You must be with the big Cat...They made this mistake way back......2 pieces of ID 1 with picture is all that is legally required to enter the US on the ground....a passport is required for air travel....

A few years ago they insisted I fax my passport to them for their records. I declined. There was no reason for them to have copies of my passport. To appease them, I offered my passport number. Haven't had a Canadian load since then. Oh well!