Can you convert 10 speed auto-shift to a manual

fawazbarraj

Seasoned Expediter
Hello every body

i have a 2000 freightliner century class with a 10 speed auto-shift......recently its starts to have so many problems (electronic problems) that no one is able to fix it even freightliner dealer and eaton fuller .........it cost me a lot of time and money last three weeks but no luck............................................

One of my friends told me that i can easily convert it to a manual trans.....

Do any one out there have any idea about this

thanks a lot.

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
might need to swap ecm / wiring harness on engine for manual trans one or will still cause issues. my company has a truck with a 6 spd autoshift I hate it .... would rather shift myself ...
It would be a lil involved but you should be able to get all parts ya need off a wrecked truck and up and going in no time.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
whats going on with your autoshift? Their actually pretty releiable units..... i have driven both and find the 10 speed autoshifts do a pretty good job. What gives with yours? Got to say that an incompetent repair shop can kill you on the repairs, especially if their just parts changers.......

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
4 or 5 years ago, a company I believe in Fort Wayne was saying they convert manual to auto-shift

Someone good at digging might be able to come up with a name.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
have them check the pnumatic part of the system, that seems to be where most go bad and yet is the last place the repair guys look when there is a problem

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
I would think it would be cheaper to repair the auto shift unit. Some transmissions will not accept a shift tower ( gear stick ). As previous poster states it is usually the pneuamatic actuator that causes the problem,Call around truck salvage places and see if they have a used unit that can just be bolted in. As so many Freightliners are out there with auto shifts I am surprised you are have trouble getting it fixed.

are you having any other ECM/Engine problems?
maybe you should have the ECM re-flashed

Personally I would have big problem going back to a totally manual shifter. once you get used to these you get spoiled very quickly

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I really don't know Daylight from Dark about transmissions, BUT I would think a 2000 model would have a fair amount of computer wireing involved. Plus fly wheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, maybe bell housing problems. May not be room needed in the cab itself. Unless you do as we did as kids & hack saw the floor shift 6" off the floor.:p Plus linkage for the clutch pedal. It seems a rebuilt might be a better choice?.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
An Auto-Shift (3 pedal) is a fairly simple conversion back to a manual. A hole needs to be put in the floor, you need to buy the "top" of the transmission (the shifter and shift rail/fork assembly) and a boot.

In your engine ECM settings you change the transmission type back to a manual and you should be good to go.

If you have a two pedal automated transmission (Ultra Shift, I-Shift, Freedom) you are stuck with getting it fixed as the conversion is usually cost prohibitive.

That was one of the good things about the original Auto Shifts, they were fairly risk free for a fleet to buy as they could convert them back if they became problematic. After the lack of luck a lot of fleets had with the original Freedom transmissions (2 pedal) this was a big selling feature by Eaton.

badssgt

Active Expediter
Theres a place off 75 hwy in Jackson Georgia called Georgia Truck and Rv that specializes in changing automatic transmissions into manual and does it cheaper than anyone i know. you can google them and ask to speak with steve the master tech

t.s.

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello every body

i have a 2000 freightliner century class with a 10 speed auto-shift......recently its starts to have so many problems (electronic problems) that no one is able to fix it even freightliner dealer and eaton fuller .........it cost me a lot of time and money last three weeks but no luck............................................

One of my friends told me that i can easily convert it to a manual trans.....

Do any one out there have any idea about this

thanks a lot.
Replace TECU Harness (Transmission Controller & Electric Clutch Actuator)

CedarMike

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
First generation automatics are sketchy . I just traded my 13 speed in for a ten speed auto , I love it