Can someone please explain this to me?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got into a rather heated argument a long time ago with a member of Karmanos staff at a red wing expedition game about the wording of the latest head lines in a hockey trade rag.

It said “the defending champions Detroit Red Wings will have a tough time in the 98 seasonâ€.

I said the headline was wrong and the writer is a hack. The person who I made the comment to said I was wrong and seemed offended that an outsider would question that sports writer.

I explained to him that the play on words shows the mentality of the reader by accepting this as a true fact in the sport. I further explained to support my position that there is a difference with a person who has a clear championship path that he has to defend his position after his winning, like in boxing and a team who wins a championship and then has to starts fresh and equal to every team in the new season without sitting out any play offs and playing the winner of the play offs at the end of the year because of their status of champions from the previous year.

Make sense?

So after reading today’s headlines I see this;

Defending champ Cheruiyot wins Marathon

So I have to ask, am I wrong?