Can someone explain NASA?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I read the press release yesterday about the new planned mission to the moon to crash a rocket to kick up dust to examine if there are water particles below the surface of the moon. This is the second attempt at this, with the first being a $125M failure.

Mind you that in 1961, President Kennedy set forth the vision of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely and we have done that. 25 years ago the first shuttle was launched but we have yet to return back to the moon after 6 times. Instead we are sending another rocket to crash into the moon and hope that it would work this time – why not a man (or woman) with a dust buster or something to collect what is needed?

I also have to ask why we are allowing this shuttle money pit to continue without a vision, without a direction other than using 30 year old technology to do something we did in 1962 – orbit the earth. Why hasn’t NASA come up with a 100% reusable all weather vehicle that can go to the moon and back instead of a fragile launch vehicle that must be launched and landed in perfect weather and hasn’t done much other than orbit the earth. I mean that it took 8 years with 1960's technolgy to acomplish this amazing feat from the time President Kennedy made his speech to the time Armstrong put his foot on the moon but we have had 25 years since the first shuttle launch and have to wait another 4 years for a new vehicle? We have the technology, do you think it is time we use it and get going?

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Greg,

I think the time is right around the corner that the US is going to make a huge leap in moon travel.
I may be wrong, just a thought mind you, but I think the us is allowing the mexican emergrants into the us as they can sort out enough with the right skills, Construction, farming, road construction,etc. and then send a very large cargo spaceship to the moon loaded with supplies and building materials, and of course workers, with instructions to build a duplicate replica of some of the good cities in the US.
The reason they are taking dust and dirt samples is so they can be sure to send the right Scotts turf builder to grow huge crops to live on. Of course as soon as the grass is ready, another shipment of cows and livestock will follow.
I think this is a plan by our politicians in Washington because they have heard so many times epople say how they would like to geather up all the politicians and send them to the moon.

This was just my thought and I'm sure others can expand on this thinking.

Dan

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
Sending them to the moon won't work anymore, they'd just dictate our every move via cell phones and the tax payers would have to pay their roaming charges.