Can i find a job?

crazyTurk

New Recruit
Hello everyone! The title may be seem easy to answer but its more complicated than that. At first I'm a Turkish teen willing to move to America. So i started searching for everything like housing, living, differences between the two country and jobs. I love going to long road trips since my childhood. My grandfather was a truck driver he used to take me and go for long trips. So while i was looking for jobs i saw the expedite delivery job. I kinda liked it but i have some questions about it. (Sorry about my bad language by the way i'm trying my best hope you can understand)

Here's my questions

Is expedite a company? Or is it a trucking kind?

Do i have to buy a van or can i do the job with trucks like Dodge RAM 2500?

Can i work and go to university at the same time? I know it sounds absurd but can i work in my spare times to earn a living?

Is there a standard wage for this job?

Is there a shift system or they call you if there's a job?

For now this is the end of my questions. Thank you all from now...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You'll have a difficult time moving to America based on trucking. More drivers aren't really needed. The idea there is a shortage is a lie.

The name expedite is "a trucking kind" . Yes you can, and people do, work with a dodge ram 2500. Usually that is called "hot shot" and you haul stuff on a flatbed or pull travel trailers.

No, there are no standard wages, and no shifts. They do call you "if" there is a job.

I can't think of a harder way to pay going through school than this. You won't know where you are going, when you are going, or where you will end up in expedite.

If you're coming for school, my advice would be to deliver pizzas - limit your time worked - and actually graduate with a job in a useful field

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
You'll have a difficult time moving to America based on trucking. More drivers aren't really needed. The idea there is a shortage is a lie.

The name expedite is "a trucking kind" . Yes you can, and people do, work with a dodge ram 2500. Usually that is called "hot shot" and you haul stuff on a flatbed or pull travel trailers.

No, there are no standard wages, and no shifts. They do call you "if" there is a job.

I can't think of a harder way to pay going through school than this. You won't know where you are going, when you are going, or where you will end up in expedite.

If you're coming for school, my advice would be to deliver pizzas - limit your time worked - and actually graduate with a job in a useful field

your statement as to the truck driver shortage being a lie is incorrect. go buy some trucks and try to find drivers. if you want a van driver all is good. try finding a tractor driver. if you have a pool of drivers wanting work please pass them on. us fleet owners would be happy to have the help.

Reactions: Solar

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
your statement as to the truck driver shortage being a lie is incorrect. go buy some trucks and try to find drivers. if you want a van driver all is good. try finding a tractor driver. if you have a pool of drivers wanting work please pass them on. us fleet owners would be happy to have the help.
Pay between $40-60 an hour and see if you still can't find drivers.

Reactions: Compa and Solar

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
thats ridiculous, nodoby pays or can afford to pay like that and you know it . you also know that is not how our industry works !!!!!
Funny, if you divide my pay by the hours worked that's what I get (canadian $$ but that would make my low $30 an hour USD)

And yes I'm an o/o. But that's my point. Pay enough and all of a sudden there are drivers.

It's not a truck owner's fault, it's an industry wide problem from shipper to driver. Things need to start costing what they do, instead of trucking holding down costs for everybody else

Reactions: Compa

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
not apples to oranges. you might do that as a o/o but fleet owners cant do that. and for us to do that imagine what the rate would have to increase to

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, what it should be; 3-4 bucks a mile FTL and higher for expedite

I know. And it's kept me in a smaller vehicle cause I can't figure out how to make it in a larger one without living in it.

I need at least 0.93 a mile in a paid for 2005 Dodge Sprinter to have enough money for just me. Dunno how you straights or TTs do it, and forget sharing with employees...

Edit: oh ya, back on point: no shortage of drivers, I agree with this

You'd be better to judge im just a silly van driver

Last edited:
Reactions: Compa and Treadmill

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello everyone! The title may be seem easy to answer but its more complicated than that. At first I'm a Turkish teen willing to move to America...

Here's my questions

Is expedite a company? Or is it a trucking kind?

Do i have to buy a van or can i do the job with trucks like Dodge RAM 2500?

Can i work and go to university at the same time? I know it sounds absurd but can i work in my spare times to earn a living?

Is there a standard wage for this job?

Is there a shift system or they call you if there's a job?

For now this is the end of my questions. Thank you all from now...

First, if you’re coming legally to America, welcome, and this is the Land of Opportunity. There are opportunities and options.

Expedite doesn’t run like regular shipping and receiving, it’s more a express service.

Research Van Expedite, Hot Shot, Straight Truck Expedite.

Of course, there’s regular Tractor Trailer opportunities all over.

There are things you could do as work and go to university, research Uber. You can make decent money simply by owning a acceptable car.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums