Can a solo staight truck driver make money?

idtrans

Expert Expediter
As a solo owner operator, on with LOAD-1, I highly suggest you look at us.
I get miles, on time settlements each week, good group of dispatchers and honesty from the owner on down.
I see no reason to tell you what carriers to avoid, that serves no purpose.
I am telling you who I suggest calling.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

That is the biggest thing "ON TIME SETTLEMENTS" You can't run your truck if no emergency cash on hand or fuel money. The money is everything heck tires pm and all the other things we must pay for as o/o oh yeah and FUEL LOL

guido4475

Not a Member
The one thing I am wondering is that, with the strong possibilty of OBR's and paperless logs becoming a strong reality and possiblity, how much more important is it going to be for dispatchers to utilize a truck to their fullest potential to cater to the HOS rules and regualtions? Miles and hours will be limited because of this, and there is already one major carrier out here installing the OBR'S and paperless logs in their trucks as we speak...Vans will happen, eventually, but I dont think for a long time yet.It will be tough for a solo to make money because of this.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems most of the replies were geared towards being an O/O. What about for a straight truck driver doing a 60/40 split and paying for fuel and being with a large company like Panther? Is that just doomed from the start :confused:

Last edited:

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Seems most of the replies were geared towards being an O/O. What about for a driver doing a 60/40 split and paying for fuel and being with a large company like Panther? Is that just doomed from the start :confused:

What are you driving? Cargo Van, Sprinter, Straight truck, or Tractor?

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
The one thing I am wondering is that, with the strong possibilty of OBR's and paperless logs becoming a strong reality and possiblity, how much more important is it going to be for dispatchers to utilize a truck to their fullest potential to cater to the HOS rules and regualtions? Miles and hours will be limited because of this, and there is already one major carrier out here installing the OBR'S and paperless logs in their trucks as we speak...Vans will happen, eventually, but I dont think for a long time yet.It will be tough for a solo to make money because of this.

I think a solo will still be able to make money Guido. If a solo has been running legal, the EOBR's and electronic logs won't cause you to make any change. If they change the HOS to 10 hours of driving time, a solo should still be able to adapt. Dispatchers will be the ones under more pressure to know if a run is legal for a solo.

I would like the Feds to follow up and hold the shippers and consignees accountable for delays at their docks. Not counting waiting time to load and unload towards your 14 would work nicely.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Continuing with the thread, asking about solo straight truck driver for a owner.

Sorry RoadTime, senior moment.

In answer to your question, that's probably going to be tough. Like the other larger carriers, Panther's emphasis is on teams.

The 60/40 split will be tough as well given the current price of fuel. You should be getting the FSC under this arrangement, but it seldom covers all the fuel costs. Plus any fuel used on non revenue mileage is paid by you.

Usually, solo drivers do better with small to medium size carriers. If I were you I would ask the owner of the truck for numbers showing what his truck's revenue has been for the past year. That should give you a good idea of whether or not you can make money.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
26 posts, 11 have nothing to do with the question "can a solo make a living in a Straight truck" Would any solo's be kind enough just to post your average miles per month. No rate, no carrier. Just your average miles.:rolleyes: Thanks in advance

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I didn't reply because the question specified 'large carriers', and mine isn't [I try to avoid cluttering threads with posts that don't help]
That said, I average around 8000 miles per month - some are 10,000 and some are just 5-6000.