Can a solo staight truck driver make money?

charliemcc

Expert Expediter
Is it worth it to even try to drive a straight truck as a solo? Will I make any money? Is it humanly possible to live full time permanent in a straight truck as a solo driver? Of course, what I mean by that is that I will never go home. The truck will be my home. Will I go insane? Will being out full time off set some of the disadvantage of being a solo straight truck driver. I am talking as an owner/operator. What the heck, while we're at it, can a solo independent contractor driver make money?

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
I think alot of that depends on your carrier. I am able to make a living running solo when i am looking for a new co driver. But again that would depend on carrier. As far as going insane 100% in truck, yes you need some type of leisure activity, and time away every once in awhile. I am sure others will have other ideas but this is just my thoughts. Good luck

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
There are probable more insane people working at the post office than driving solo trucks. I drive solo because I snore and my feet stink but all solo drivers do not have such social limitations. There are probably several hundred thousand that go solo because that's what makes them happy. If you get lonely you can always get a dog or cat or a sheep.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
It all depends on you at the end of the day ! If you log legally and smart and work hard and run proper and not hang out at truck stops then yes. I just went out for my first solo run in my straight truck and had a great week out. came home for personal reason for a couple days and then back out i go.

Now the main thing is to drive slow to cut fuel cost down I am a bad lead foot but now I am getting accustomed to the 6th gear at 1600 rpm which is around 64 to 66 mph and every now and then out west i got her to 72 but never any faster because i wanna stay in the 9 to 10 mpg area to save on the high $ low quality fuel.

I ran in 6 days 2650 loaded miles and 300 dead head miles all paid at a very fair rate. My fuel and food expense was around $1100 max. so I did make money and that is what counts.

With that said best of luck to you.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Charlie: I've been doing it for years, and am pretty happy. I make money, and haven't gone insane [yet] though I do get cranky at times. :eek:
Will you like it, or go insane? No one knows until you try it - we're like snowflakes: all the same, but all different. :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
...I will never go home. The truck will be my home. Will I go insane? Will being out full time off set some of the disadvantage of being a solo straight truck driver....

If you make the truck your home, it may offset some of the disadvantages of being a solo driver but it will also trigger a significant financial disadvantage that may lead you to reconsider your strategy. It has nothing to do with being solo or team but with taxes.

If you do not maintain a home other than your truck, you cannot take the very significant per diem tax deduction. I am not up on the current numbers as to what this deduction is worth each year. Perhaps another Open Forum member can provide them. You will want to find out what the value of the per diem deduction is to you and compare that with the cost of maintaining a home.

A year after we became expediters, Diane and I determined that we no longer wanted or needed the house we then owned. We were on the road almost all the time and it seemed that the only reason we were going home was to take care of the house. So we simplified our life, improved our finances and boosted our productivity by selling the house, our cars and most household goods.

At that point it would have been easy to make the truck our home but we set up another residence to preserve the per diem tax deduction.

Our official residence is now rented space in a relative's house. The rent is nominal but a contract exists and payments are regularly made to prove to the IRS that this is a bona fide residence for us. It is our permenant address which appears on our CDLs and to which our mail goes. We pay taxes in that state, county and township. We are registered to vote there.

For tax purposes, your home does not have to be a house but if it is a truck and only the truck, you lose a significant deduction. This may be a bigger issue for same-household teams than for solo drivers because each team member gets the deduction - one household, two deductions. A solo driver get the per diem deduction only for him or her self.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can a solo straight truck driver make money?

Can a needle pass through the eye of a camel?

The answer to both these questions is yes! There are many E.O. members who are successful solo straight truck drivers. As mentioned, find a "solo friendly" company to lease to.

I have a friend who lived for several years in Niger. He owned two camels and assures me a needle will pass through the eye of a camel. Though it will cause great pain and probably blindness for the camel.

Last years per diem rate was 80% of $59. Certainly a tax advantage you should consider.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
There are probable more insane people working at the post office than driving solo trucks. I drive solo because I snore and my feet stink but all solo drivers do not have such social limitations. There are probably several hundred thousand that go solo because that's what makes them happy. If you get lonely you can always get a dog or cat or a sheep.

Or an inflatable doll :eek:

Sounds as if you've been there. Tisk,Tisk Or a doll. You can sure tell when it's Friday.:D:D

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I also think the per diem tax deal will be lost if you live in the truck because that's your home. Not sure but I think.

But you can go to a storage place and rent a unit and use that address as home. ;)

Please don't take me serious, IRS might be listening. :eek:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If you stay out 30 days a month,the per diem is lost.A solo expediter can be done,but you better not need a large income to survive.There are many reasons why your pay will change from week to week.Some weeks good,other weeks may not even have a pay.Because most loads pick up in the afternoon,and deliver straight thru,you will have to know how to manage you off duty hours,and hope the company your leased to will deal with you as a solo and not put team trucks ahead of you

charliemcc

Expert Expediter
Can I just assume that if I get with a big company that they will treat me as a solo driver as well as team drivers? I have a gut feeling that that is a bad assumption. Also , if I am an owner operator, is a company that only uses owner operators better than one that uses company drivers or independent contractors as well as owner operators? What about if I am a company driver or an independent contractor?
Should I have posted this as a new thread?

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Can I just assume that if I get with a big company that they will treat me as a solo driver as well as team drivers? I have a gut feeling that that is a bad assumption. Also , if I am an owner operator, is a company that only uses owner operators better than one that uses company drivers or independent contractors as well as owner operators? What about if I am a company driver or an independent contractor?
Should I have posted this as a new thread?

I would avoid a large company as a solo in a st ok. I am with a small company and he makes me a good living.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you stay out 30 days a month,the per diem is lost.

I agree with highway star. Diane and I regularly stay out more than 30 days a month. We are often out for months at a time without going home and have been doing that for years. Our tax CPA specializes in owner-operators and has always instructed us to take the deduction and we always have without any questions asked by the IRS.

T

Thepeacedog

I have wondered this too. I have been reading old threads for some time as I am considering expediting but I would not want to spend 24/7 in a truck with somebody else. I'm glad to hears some are making money running alone.

FOTR2001

Seasoned Expediter
Well I started driving for my Father at age 29 with a A-CDL and drove a Kenworth W900 with 60 sleeper pulling a Flatbed, and I would drive just to get load there safety, but on Off time I would walk around the truck stop looking at other trucks, read books and once in while a good movie, I ve always kept the Bible with me for bad days it really helps, but yes you can make it yourself with a Budget, Learn, Listen, watch.....is how you make yourself better on your own.......

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, Keith here...I am an O/O, 07' Freightliner straight truck looking to sign on with a company. The question I have is lots of people give good advise or not so good advise, but they never say who they are working for or who the good companies are to sign on with...help us out...who do we want to look at and who do we want to stay away from....Thanks.

fortwayne

Not a Member
As a solo owner operator, on with LOAD-1, I highly suggest you look at us.
I get miles, on time settlements each week, good group of dispatchers and honesty from the owner on down.
I see no reason to tell you what carriers to avoid, that serves no purpose.
I am telling you who I suggest calling.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Reactions: 1 person