Can’t Get Manual Regeneration To Work In My 2011 Hino 268 Tow-truck

Tom Drewel

New Recruit
Mechanic
Hi, I am having trouble with my 2011 Hino 268 Flatbed Rollback. There’s a message on the screen that says DPR Check. The truck is at only half torque and only makes it up to 40 MPH. I have checked the burners behind the front fender. I can’t find anything else online similar to my problem. I can’t make it into the certified dealer it’s too far away. I really need some help with this.

Techmaster

Rookie Expediter
Mechanic
Hey there, sounds like there is an active fualt causing the truck to go into a derate. Needs to be hooked up to Hino DX and pull a code. Most likely a dpf clogging flag was activated. With Hino DX you can buy yourself some time by resetting the flags and clearing codes. The derate will come back though in time. Pull some codes and post them here. Needs to be fixed ASAP or you could damage dpf or scr and be looking at alot of money.

Tom Drewel

New Recruit
Mechanic
I don’t have the money for the software or the hardware required that’s about 2500 in equipment when i could just pay 3000 for the whole unit. Is there anyway other than that i can try or another way to reset them without spending a whole lot?

Tom Drewel

New Recruit
Mechanic
I pulled a code p244b, says diesel particulate filter differential too high. Any way to fix this? if it’s the sensor or the filter?

Techmaster

Rookie Expediter
Mechanic
Your differential pressure sensor consist of 2 steel tubes one before and after the dpf filter, the tubes are connected to rubber hoses which leads to the sensor. It's possible that the tubes are plugged or restricted, that can make the sensor think the filter is full. You can remove the tubes from the sensor and remove them from the dpf and check for restriction,or cracked rubber hose.

When was the last time you had your filter removed and cleaned? Regens can only do so much, and the are so many different variables that could increase soot build up.

If the tubes are clear from restriction, then I would suggest removing the filter and getting it blasted and flow tested. I dought the sensor is at fualt but it's possible.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The differential pressure sensors never go bad. You're suffering from a failure to regen completely. This can be aggravated by bad injectors. The burner itself needs a thorough investigation. Just resetting the light will not fix anything.

You can buy Russian hacked dx2 off of eBay for $20. You will still need an interface device. Expect to pay about $650 for a Nexiq usb-link.

Techmaster

Rookie Expediter
Mechanic
Differential pressure is raised when restriction is build within the dpf filter, that's how the computer predicts soot level. Greasy right, dx2 would help.

Hwy greasy dose that software have trouble shooting tree?

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
The DX2 software does have a "diagnostic flow" link built into the software. The trouble trees are constantly updated, but I have a official copy at our dealership. The Russian DX2 may, or may not have these trouble trees depending what version they bootlegged.

AutoFox

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I pulled a code p244b, says diesel particulate filter differential too high. Any way to fix this? if it’s the sensor or the filter?

Hi, please help. We are having the same code and could not find a fix. Would you able to fix this code?

Ken Russ

New Recruit
US Marines

This simply means that your DPF needs cleaning. “Diesel particulate filter differential too high” means that the pressure sensors before and after the DPF are reading a BACKPRESSURE that indicates that the volume of soot and ash within the DPF is nearing the upper limit and thus diminishing exhaust gas flow through the filter. This is a safety setting designed to prevent superheating the ceramic substrate within the DPF and risking it melting (a very costly failure).

To be clear: This is not a ‘BAD SENSOR’ issue, but an indication that the DPF needs to be cleaned. A bad sensor typically triggers a different error code.

As a side-note: Whenever going through all the trouble of removing the DPF for cleaning, it’s a good idea to get the DOC (Diesel Oxygenation Catalyst = catalytic converter) cleaned at the same time. This is a good practice because soot can buildup on the face of the DOC substrate and also restrict exhaust gas flow. The problem with this kind of soot buildup is that there’s NO sensor on to tell you that (this is something we've just learned over time -and is why we clean DOCs for free when cleaned at the same time as the DPF). One of the main indicators of "face-plugging" on the DOC is reduced fuel economy and poor acceleration resulting from poor exhaust flow through the DPF/DOC system.

Reactions: RHITruck