Calling upon all sprinter van owners and drivers.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am going to purchase a sprinter van for a previous driver of mine. He's only going to run the Midwest and Southeast.

Can someone recommend a manufacturer and the set up you recommend as far as wheel base, trans, etc. I have been on the side lines too long.

Please and thank you!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
John, The last long and tall Sprinter that I used as an office during my employment by FedEx Custom Critical was custom outfitted by Bolt Custom Trucks and Manufacturing in Fort Wayne. The have also outfitted sleeper compartments in a couple of dozen Sprinters that were leased to FedEx as refrigerated vans. They have the experience and the templates to fabricate a standard or customized, lightweight aluminum living area. I would not hesitate to recommend that you talk to them about a Sprinter upfit.

Additionally, I went to three Sprinter dealers with a request for bid on a pre-determined Sprinter wish list of options. Dan Tilley of Fort Mitchell, KY Mercedes-Benz has a large inventory of Sprinters and gave us the lowest bid by $5K.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You mention manufacturer, are you referring to Sprinter CLASS vehicles or a Sprinter Van itself ... manufacture is all the same Mercedes Benz . Sprinter class would include Ford Transit , Ram Promaster and the original Sprinter . Give us a a direction to better provide information .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grizzly

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm looking to buy maybe a unit 1 or 2 years old for the moment.

Based on a 2 yr old sprinter that can handle 3 skids whats the best option as far as reliability and fuel mileage , maybe their Is a year that I should stay away from because of issues.

Sorry half asleep. What liter engine , gear ratio on trans a factor on a sprinter van?

I hope I am answering your question right.

Thank you

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
To be honest with you, I wouldn't buy a driver a sprinter! They don't treat it like it's there's. The repair bills will kill you quick. I would buy the long and tall Transit 350 with the 3.5 ecoboost or the Ram Promaster 3500 long and tall with the V6. "Gasoline" Get the extended warranty!

Don't get me wrong, I love the sprinters and I own one and drive one. I like Fort Mitchell alot. Dan is great and Mike the service writer and Patrick the mechanic do a excellent job.

And always never buy a used sprinter from someone. You don't know what they have done with it. Leaving it idling, hauling too much weight ect! Too much risk!

Last edited:

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
To be honest with you, I wouldn't buy a driver a sprinter! They don't treat it like it's there's. The repair bills will kill you quick. I would buy the long and tall Transit 350 with the 3.5 ecoboost or the Ram Promaster 3500 long and tall with the V6. "Gasoline" Get the extended warranty!

Don't get me wrong, I love the sprinters and I own one and drive one. I like Fort Mitchell alot. Dan is great and Mike the service writer and Patrick the mechanic do a excellent job.

And always never buy a used sprinter from someone. You don't know what they have done with it. Leaving it idling, hauling too much weight ect! Too much risk!
. I trust him, he drove for me for 8 years. But I agree. Regardless, if it is not theirs they will drive it like it's yours lol.

Thank you for weighing in on this. Very helpful. Thank you to everyone.