Calif CARB Question

dlowrey

Rookie Expediter
I am looking at a couple of used Class 8 sleeper box trucks, 2007 and 2008. There seems to be a big drop in price for these years. I need your advice.
1. Can trucks from these years be California CARB compliant? Can they be upgraded to a urea system?
2. The trucks have Cat C-13 engines and Eaton ultra shift 10 sp. Anything in particular to watch out for?

Thanks
-DL

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
If it's a 2008 it might have a dpf in it. The dpf is carb compliant until 2023 I think. We run a 2008, but we only will run it to 2018 and it has a c13 with a dpf. In saying that the c13 with the dpf is the reason cat left the otr engine building business. It's a very expensive engine to maintain.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Also quite a few lawsuits involving that engine. A google search will bring some of it up. Also, I believe OOIDA has been writing information with all of it.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Get the VIN Number and have the dealer pull the records on it. See how well it's been maintained. They will be able to tell you if it is CARB compliant.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Not only that but each time the dpf is messed with the ECM records it , so u can pull a ECM report and find out when it's been cleaned and such. Who are you looking at buying these from?

dlowrey

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for all of the info.

Another question. 2010 seems to be the tilt point for CARB compliance and reliability. Is it reasonable to try to retrofit a 2010 or later engine into a 2007 truck? I know it's not the same as swapping 327 for a 265 in an old Chevy. My question is can it done; or is it better to just buy a 2010 or newer truck?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
It usually can't be done. The scr system made the engine be packed in crazy so it would all fit. Also, the costs would be so crazy high you'd be crazy to do it. A dd13 complete with the scr system would be close to if not over $60,000. And that engine won't fit in a t-660 wth the scr. Not to mention the headache of when something breaks on something that heavily modified.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Everyone right now is adding dpf filters only on their older trucks. I can't see how in expediting you would ever recoup that money to go into ca.

dlowrey

Rookie Expediter
Wishful thinking, I guess. The truck I am looking at is 600k+ and I wa anticipating an inframe overhaul within the year; and thought my idea would be worth a try. I guess I'll keep looking for a truck with something other than C-13.

Thanks for all of your input.
-DL

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Wishful thinking, I guess. The truck I am looking at is 600k+ and I wa anticipating an inframe overhaul within the year; and thought my idea would be worth a try. I guess I'll keep looking for a truck with something other than C-13.

Thanks for all of your input.
-DL

Unless that motor has issues, I would expect u to get a lot closer to a million miles before an overhaul.

dlowrey

Rookie Expediter
Yes, that's what I would hope. But, with the bad buzz on the C-13 and the mileage, I need to plan for it sooner than 1M. It's a balancing act ... my small budget vs new truck vs used but affordable.
-DL