Cabover Pre/Post trip inspection?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cabover0001.jpg

I was reminiscing about my first (and only) cabover when I started with J.B. Hunt back in the day.
Besides living in a "dog house", for the most part, I loved it :rolleyes:

For some reason, last night, I thought...How the hell did I do a good pre/post trip inspection on the tractor without any (easy) access to the engine or the components?

For the life of me, I don't remember. I may have been able to check the oil level, but that's pretty fuzzy.

I do know I was never taught in school or by JB on how to raise or lower the cab. This was only done by maintenance during routine scheduled maintenance. That was always a horrible thing as everything in the cab would get tossed around. I real pain in the butt.

Were the standards for inspection different some 25yrs ago, IDK.
I couldn't find anything on-line regarding this, I found that rather odd.
But I sure know I never raised the cab. After seeing a video of someone raising/lowering the cab, all I can say is, Oh Hell NO! :eek:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They say cabovers are making a come back. I don't know about that, but I have been seeing more on the road this last year.

This I definitely have not seen before (from the EO classifieds).

I had to laugh when I first saw it. But really, I wouldn't mind having it :happydance:

Jr1980

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Cabovers put the biggest truck in the smallest places.Great for the service industry. My 1990 mack midliner was chosen and built for residential tree work for exactly that reason. It's like getting 5 more feet of truck with no added wheelbase. The visibility is great for maneuvering in tight spaces, and the shorter wheelbase helps a lot with backing chippers.

Reactions: RoadTime

guido4475

Not a Member
They say cabovers are making a come back. I don't know about that, but I have been seeing more on the road this last year.

This I definitely have not seen before (from the EO classifieds).

View attachment 18754

I had to laugh when I first saw it. But really, I wouldn't mind having it :happydance:

I'm almost 95% sure that is or was Don Costellos old truck that he set up before he got called out of retirement by the government because of Desert Storm. He had it finished while he was overseas, but never drove it, as he decided to sell it before he got home. His wife ran it once a month to keep things working until it was sold. He asked me to buy it, but at the time wasnt intrested in it. Or a cab over. I sure do miss him.

Reactions: RoadTime