C unit drivers please help

bluemillion

Seasoned Expediter
I am a B unit driver new to FECC. After about 4 months of driving I am seriously considering moving up to a C unit. So I call my recruiter and he tells me that he needs to check my stats to see if I can qualify for an upgrade. Everything checks out after 3 days and he tells me I am approved for upgrade. He gives me a list of dealers for straight trucks that he works with and gives me his blessing. But now I'm afraid to take the plunge. I have seen less than steller financial compensation in my B unit and a quality straight truck will run me between 50 and 100k. Further I would be a single driver no team. I have heard a few horror stories about solo C unit drivers not being able to get the same number of loads as teams thus making it difficult to make their truck payments. Can anyone tell me if it would be a good decision to upgrade because if I cannot get the load opportunities to support the financial responsibilities of the truck, it will surely force me into bankruptcy and thus end my career. My recruiter advised me that a straight truck brings in an average of 75k per year however he told me that my B unit would bring in an average of 50K and I now know that this just isn't true.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Why would you want to limit your load opportunities by driving a C unit? If you upgraded to a D unit you would get load opportunities ranging from D loads all the way down to A loads.

We have even gotten E loads that have been split into 2 D loads.Also the truck market is saturated with quality used D units (not so many, if any C's) and there are lots of good deals out there.

Check out the free classifieds here on EO and you will find several great trucks in the lower level of your 50k to 100k range.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My recruiter advised me that a straight truck brings in an average of 75k per year however he told me that my B unit would bring in an average of 50K and I now know that this just isn't true.

That's the thing about fleet averages, they are formed over time and times change. As they say in the brokerage business, past performance does not guarantee future results. That is especially true in the current economic decline. Whatever kind of truck it may be, it is hard to know what to expect in the near future.

Shippers that were in business when past fleet averages were formed may be out of business today or tomorrow. Having the same number of trucks compete for a reduced supply of freight makes the expediting business more difficult. In time, the ratio of trucks to freight will re-balance to profitable levels.

If there is no rush to make the van to C-unit move, I don't think you will miss much by waiting a few months and re-thinking the decision then (assuming that a C-unit freeze is not imposed between now and then).

As a team, a CR-unit is a good choice (bigger sleeper). If I was a solo driver, D would be the choice for the reasons DD states. I might go with a solo C-unit if I wanted to specialize in the North East. I think I could make some decent money running an easy-to-maneuver, small sleeper, short wheelbase C or CR unit in and around Boston, New York and Philadelphia. The BR-unit experiment now in progress also presents some interesting possibilities for solo drivers.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Before you spend the money as a solo driver and buy a CR unit I would do a lot of research. I would find out what the wait is to get into WG and how many reefer loads you would be offered as an Express Truck.

January is notorious for being slow in good years so that should give you even more time to research your decision.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have heard a few horror stories about solo C unit drivers not being able to get the same number of loads as teams thus making it difficult to make their truck payments. C

Loads are only given to teams over solos, if the solo does not have the legal hours to complete on time.

bluemillion

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all for offering this great information. Now I'm really curious. What is the difference between a C-Unit and A D-Unit? I'm assuming that an E-unit is a semi right? Also a BR-Unit? I'm not going to make this move without your advise and blessing so Thanks!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thank you all for offering this great information. Now I'm really curious. What is the difference between a C-Unit and A D-Unit? I'm assuming that an E-unit is a semi right? Also a BR-Unit? I'm not going to make this move without your advise and blessing so Thanks!

"C" Usually 12` or 16` Box. GVW less than 26,000, usually limited to pay loads of 5,000#. Sleeper sometimes optional.

"D" Usually 22`or 24` box. GVW 33,000, Usually payloads under 13,000.Sleeper some times optional.

"E" units are semi`s

Letter "R" after any size, IE... BR,CR, DR, means reefer equipped.

Recruiters will furnish exaxt spec`s.

bluemillion

Seasoned Expediter
Ahhh I see. so a D unit is like a C but bigger. Okay. well I guess if i'm going to move up, it might as well be the D unit so that I can get as many load opportunities as possible.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most "D`s" Carry 75% "C" size loads. I myself don`t see the need to carry around more truck than necessary. Fuel economy on my C is 11.3 with a 6 spd manual tranny.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If your going into this as a solo,it can be done,but is very difficult.Your going to have to manage your available hours very carefully.The 14 hour rule will hurt your income if you dont watch your hours of service.DOT rules,hurt the expedite system for a solo,as most of our loads are dispatched late afternoon,and before you would get your full 10 hours off.

bluemillion

Seasoned Expediter
If your going into this as a solo,it can be done,but is very difficult.Your going to have to manage your available hours very carefully.The 14 hour rule will hurt your income if you dont watch your hours of service.DOT rules,hurt the expedite system for a solo,as most of our loads are dispatched late afternoon,and before you would get your full 10 hours off.

Thanks nightcreacher. I definately don't want to make this any harder than it already is. I think I had better stick with my B unit for now. All of my friends who used to drive trucks absolutely refuse to go back to driving so I can't convince them to be a team.