buying freightliner with 250 hp mercedes engine

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
Looking at a truck from FYDA freightliner. M2-106 with 84 benz sleeper air ride and 250 hp mercedes diesel engine. Anyone running this truck and how is it for dependability fuel economy and hauling capability. This truck is a D unit.

Thank you
Kevin LaHaie

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
RE: buying freightliner with 250 hp mercedes engin

Just my thoughts but I think that 250hp is too small for the work we have done. It would have to work way too hard too often. Fuel economy would be poor and the engine would wear out much faster than a larger one would. I drive a Cat c12 in a Freighliner FL112. It is a 435hp. We average about 9mpg. We have got as high as 11.5 but not very often. 10 is common. The worst we ever got was 7.5.
We were loaded heavy,#13,000lbs, high head winds and mountians. Load went to Oregon from Ohio. I doubt that the 250hp would handle it well but maybe someone with more knowlege can steer you better

Layoutshooter

jwgmover

Expert Expediter

I have an '07 with 250 MBE900, 6 speed, and 4.30 rear-end. I'm averaging 10+ mpg, and usually rolling down the road at a pretty good clip. 66,000 miles since November '06 and zero problems.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I only have 16,500 miles on mine, so I can't say much about reliability. The horsepower is adequate, but you will wish you had more on the real big hills. I'm getting 10 mpg.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter

We have a 250HP cat in ours and a 6speed in a FL80 (different truck i know). I would say if it isnt much more to get more HP i would go that route. On flat roads the 250 is pretty good. You add hills its sluggish, put some freight in there and your hoping to not get ran over by the big truck on the mountains. We drove another truck that is pretty much exact same with 300HP and its night and day between the 2. If you plan on adding a tag axle to haul more weight or anything like that i would suggest more HP.

And the others have hit it on the head saying lower HP the engine works harder and wears out faster.

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter

drove one about time (war) ran out so did everything else did had 350,000 on engine and started replaceing stuff as far as power first 250,000 did pretty good also had to learn to do pm's so i could show outhers how to do them right

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter

looking at specs it reaches peak hp and torgue at lower rpm. cost to upgrade 15-20k. what I would love is the columbia withe the 370hp 96" king liesure sleeper but that would be 40k more. Am not able to order this is first truck and would like to be on board in a couple weeks. looked at used also. but require auto trans and low miles. A few out there but my wife would like us to start out new. We checked a couple used trucks they were scary in how rough they were. I know not all are but you got to be in the right place at the right time

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

If you are shopping at truck dealers call Jon Mosier at Freightliner of Knoxville. He has new Sterlings and assorted used trucks. He is a stand up guy and will be straight with you. I have two Sterlings purchased from him. They are excellent trucks. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.