bunk conversion

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
i'm looking at a box truck with a 28 FT box and a lift. I am wondering if anyone has done a custom bunk. I would be putting a wall up separating the cargo area from the bunk area. I also wanted to cut an opening in the side and install a separate side door and some windows.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
i'm looking at a box truck with a 28 FT box and a lift. I am wondering if anyone has done a custom bunk. I would be putting a wall up separating the cargo area from the bunk area. I also wanted to cut an opening in the side and install a separate side door and some windows.

I think it's called a Texas sleeper? It's legal as long as you have a boot between the cab and the box that meets dot minimum dimensions and clear path from the drivers seat to the box. Just a side door will not meet dot standards for a sleeper. I think most people have a dot approved company cut the hole and put the boot on that do it.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
I think it's called a Texas sleeper? It's legal as long as you have a boot between the cab and the box that meets dot minimum dimensions and clear path from the drivers seat to the box. Just a side door will not meet dot standards for a sleeper. I think most people have a dot approved company cut the hole and put the boot on that do it.
untitled.png ok so something like that then.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
Paint the sleeper black; you'd have a pretty badazz Darth Vader thing going on ;)

Or just some black trim for a Stormtrooper look :)
that bunk is to small for me o_O. funny thing is pricing out different configs weather it be a fully loaded sprinter or a strait truck or a class 8 truck I always come close to the cost of a new class 8 truck. wich in my mind would be a better deal as far as loads and longevity. go figure o_O. I called a Volvo dealer today and there willing to sell me a fully speced out 780 for 120k;). the only two things I would not get is the bunk heater or the inverter I have the inverter already no prob there and i'm gonna be installing an APU so no need for a bunk heater

paullud

Veteran Expediter
that bunk is to small for me o_O. funny thing is pricing out different configs weather it be a fully loaded sprinter or a strait truck or a class 8 truck I always come close to the cost of a new class 8 truck. wich in my mind would be a better deal as far as loads and longevity. go figure o_O. I called a Volvo dealer today and there willing to sell me a fully speced out 780 for 120k;). the only two things I would not get is the bunk heater or the inverter I have the inverter already no prob there and i'm gonna be installing an APU so no need for a bunk heater

Time to find a better place to get a fully loaded Sprinter or not set the thing up like an RV. Sleepers are relatively easy to set up and do on your own so it shouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a straight truck.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
Time to find a better place to get a fully loaded Sprinter or not set the thing up like an RV. Sleepers are relatively easy to set up and do on your own so it shouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a straight truck.
Capturesp.PNG :). though I am thinking that the only thing I would get on it is the 4x4 and that's it and I will be building my own bunk i'll save a lot of money and I can put what I want in it

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm curious how much he vier the 4x4 is. Sprinters already have a low weight capacity you add bunk, generator and personal items you could be hurting. Is the gvw under 10001 on it, that's another co n sideration. I would be checking the details very closely before making that purchase. Your already starting with an expensive to maintain vehicle and adding even more potential costs. Due diligence would be strongly recommended.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
I'm curious how much he vier the 4x4 is. Sprinters already have a low weight capacity you add bunk, generator and personal items you could be hurting. Is the gvw under 10001 on it, that's another co n sideration. I would be checking the details very closely before making that purchase. Your already starting with an expensive to maintain vehicle and adding even more potential costs. Due diligence would be strongly recommended.
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/sprinter/cargo-van/specifications/2500-high-roof-170-wb-ext/5
here's all of the specs to the different models. are you looking for the GVW? I decided against the custom bunk after talking to hanvey. though I am thinking of just putting up a wall and insulating my area and just throwing a cot in the back!! I bought 2 Honda EU2000IA gensets. I really don't feel like lugging around my EU7000I wich weighs almost 300 lbs dry and I can store the EU 200IA's less painfully and I can secure the smaller ones more easly also.