bracing for 1st snowstorm of the season

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
We are currently in Harrisburg, Pa brokedown unfortunately and can't get into the shop til Monday morning. We are at the Hess truckstop right next to the shop. While we were watching the local evening news, I was shocked to see that the first SNOW STORM of the season will start in the morning and that the NWS is predicting from 8" to 10" in less than a 14 hour time period. They also said that PA DOT was scrambling to get at least 80 trucks ready to roll by tonight and start pretreating the roads ASAP. This storm, according to the NWS is about a month early, snow storms usually don't hit here til mid November and the PA DOT doesn't even prep their trucks til the 2nd week of NOV. All this is according to NEWS Channel 5 in Harrisburg, PA and by the NWS. Please be safe while traveling through this area, which is spanning a large area of this corridor. SKIP

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
I uploaded a picture of the first "storm warning" of the season. It is in "my photo album" under my profile. It was taken as it flashed across our flat screen TV, but my Blackberry took it sideways (could be operator error too) so you might have to turn your head sideways to read it. Will post more pics to my album and post more messages as the storm progresses. Skip

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Update; now they are predicting 8" to 12" in less than 14 hours and have electric company employees on stand by all weekend due to the high threat of multiple power outages in the storms path and due to the fact that most of the trees still have most of their leaves still on them and being close/near power lines. The leaves will help in keeping more snow on the trees, thus snapping the branches and severing power lines. Skip

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yupper Snow Snow ICEE Snow!!! What would be a Jan and Feb will come early this year. read the Farmers Almanac.
Jingle Bells Jingle Bells. I said I would dance a Jig well Im dancing up a whopper of a ICEEE SNOWEEE Season. Remember 2007 Hmm all that Ice Snow.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Yupper Snow Snow ICEE Snow!!! What would be a Jan and Feb will come early this year. read the Farmers Almanac.
Jingle Bells Jingle Bells. I said I would dance a Jig well Im dancing up a whopper of a ICEEE SNOWEEE Season. Remember 2007 Hmm all that Ice Snow.

Most definitely do I remember 2007..and 1986..and 2009...kinda tellin' my age now LOL. But, in 1986 I just graduated H.S. So that year doesn't really count LOL. 2007 was not a good winter, we were in Wyoming, Utahn ect..In 2009 we were coming through Yellowstone and Missula Montana (the mountains) when we were hit by the snowstorm that dropped 8 FEET of snow in less than 12 hours, needless to say we were shutdown for almost a week. Last year we picked up in Camden, ARK and had to travel on back roads that were covered with ice and snow and the only snowplow we ever saw in over 100 miles of that back road was turned over in a ditch! We were told to stay on US 63/79 all the way to Brinkley, Ark then grad I-40, because I-530 was shutdown, BIG MISTAKE!! The truck driver who told us to do that wasn't truthful at all. It was horrible!! It took us about 6 hrs just to go from Pine Bluff to Stuttgart which is about 30 miles. The only difference between then and now? I drove an 18 wheeler (12 yrs in all)!!! In a straight truck??? Probably wouldn't happen!! LOL

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Its starting as a mix now. The news said that it would start out as a mix then change over completely to a heavy, wet snow. Anticipation has set in, have been sitting in the drivers seat since 0600 CST waiting to watch natures symphony play its song and dance its dance, "ICEROADTRUCKER"---when you "DANCE YOUR JIG" ya might wanna dance it in your SLEEPER because the PARKING LOTS GONNA BE SLICK!!! LOL

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
MAN IS IT SNOWING NOW!!! It started out a wintery mix, then dime size snow now the flakes look to be about 3/4" long and COMING DOWN WITH A FURY!! Nature sure is SINGING AND DANCING NOW!! BEAUTIFUL SITE IT IS!!! IceRoadTrucker; I HOPE YOU HAVE YOUR SNOWSHOES ON, LOL!!!

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
At the 1 hour mark our hood, fenders, steps and mirrors have about a 1/2" of snow on them. At the 2 hour mark our hood, fenders, mirrors and steps are almost completely covered and the snow is starting to stick to the roads. The fuel island entrance here at the Wilco-Hess is starting to flood from all the rain last night and snow this morning. The water is about a foot and a half deep and the length of a tractor trailer. By tonight it will probably be a sheet of ice so please be careful if you come here. Skip

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
2 1/2 hours in and the snow on the vehicles is about 1 1/2" and rising. Our mirrors, hood, fenders and steps are completely covered. We are inside the truckstop at Perkins resturant having breakfast and watching natures most beautiful weather wonderland.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Sitting in Southington, Ct. at the TA. Wind is just starting to pick up here. Should prove interesting. Glad we don't have to be in NJ till Monday morning :D

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Sitting in Southington, Ct. at the TA. Wind is just starting to pick up here. Should prove interesting. Glad we don't have to be in NJ till Monday morning :D

I heard you, I did. I would be equally as happy!! The area you are in is suppose to get some, if not more, as well (according to the local news meteorologist.). Not trying to worry you, but the news just said a few minutes ago that CT, MA, VT and Maine are suppose to get the worst (normal for them) of this storm. If you can, if it starts up there can you please update us here so those reading can see how it is in your area as well? It would be well appreciated.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Sure thing! Looking at the radar, should be getting rain with the hour or so, then probably changing over to ice/snow. I'll try to get some pictures also.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Sure thing! Looking at the radar, should be getting rain with the hour or so, then probably changing over to ice/snow. I'll try to get some pictures also.

Much thanks jimby82, well appreciated. I uploaded 4 pics in "my albums". Those pics show about 4" of snow so far and I can hear the blades scraping the roads. Its 31 degrees right now and the temp is slowly dropping, so I can imagine what tonight is goona be like!! For those of you traveling today and tonight, be safe. For those of you that venture traveling this way, watch our posts for up-to-date info for a particular area and for those in areas getting snow now, could you please update us as to your location and conditions, I am certain it would be well appreciated. Skip

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
It's starting to snow. :( Mixed with rain at the moment. We are sitting inside the restaurant here. The waitresses are not happy! Apparently they do not like the snow either!

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
aefea5a7-3048-6ac6.jpg
This does not do it justice. Really starting to come down now. Taken out the front window of the TA by the gas pumps.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
LOL-(about the waitresses). Still snowing here, had to charge my Blackberry back up. The news is saying it is suppose to end around 22:00 tonight, that's about 7 more hours!!! Hope it doesn't get to bad for you. We will be here til around tuesday, as long as all the parts are in, so we will not be venturing out in this one. We have heard fire trucks and ambulances off and on throughout the day, hope nothing too serious. I see a few trucks coming in and parking. I'm sure it'll be packed tonight since the temp is gonna be in the teens. Beautiful sight with the snow, as they sayj"Natures Winter Wonderland!!"