Box Truck vs Heavy Duty Pickup + Trailer

kijix

New Recruit
Driver
I will be using either the truck or trailer to drop off and pick up pallets of paper products. We also sometimes pick up or deliver metal crates which are about 5x5x6 feet.

I tried delivering the crates and found it was difficult with a box truck unless I had a very large lift gate. The lift gate of the rental I used was maybe 3 1/2 feet fully extended and the crates are 600 pounds so I needed a good deal of help to load and unload them.

My logic is a heavy duty pick up truck like an F350 and a 20 foot trailer (8.5' wide) would be able to hold about 8 pallets and would be much closer to the ground. Additionally, a trailer does not need maintenance like a box truck.

My question is what would you do in this situation? Buy a box truck with the lift gate size I need or a 3/4 ton pick up and 20' trailer?

Would a pick up and trailer be significantly harder to drive then a box truck of the same size? (20 feet)

This is a new field to me and I have learned a lot over the last couple weeks, however I have not driven a pick up and a trailer of the size I am looking to potentially buy so I am not sure what to expect on the difficulty of driving with one of these. Looking for feedback from people who have done both.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The pickup truck and 20 foot trailer are going to be harder to turn at corners than a 20 ft box truck....how ever you need to look at where you pick up at and deliver. what makes it easier to do the job right.and make damn sure you have the right cdl license to drive either one.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will be using either the truck or trailer to drop off and pick up pallets of paper products. We also sometimes pick up or deliver metal crates which are about 5x5x6 feet.

I tried delivering the crates and found it was difficult with a box truck unless I had a very large lift gate. The lift gate of the rental I used was maybe 3 1/2 feet fully extended and the crates are 600 pounds so I needed a good deal of help to load and unload them.
Can we assume you are not picking up and delivering to facilities with loading docks?

My logic is a heavy duty pick up truck like an F350 and a 20 foot trailer (8.5' wide) would be able to hold about 8 pallets and would be much closer to the ground. Additionally, a trailer does not need maintenance like a box truck.
True, a trailer doesn't need maintenance like a box truck but it still needs maintenance as does the pick up truck. A truck and trailer will probably require more maintenance than a box truck.

My question is what would you do in this situation? Buy a box truck with the lift gate size I need or a 3/4 ton pick up and 20' trailer?
Would a pick up and trailer be significantly harder to drive then a box truck of the same size? (20 feet)
You haven't supplied enough information for us to give you a specific answer. A pickup with a trailer is more versatile and can be used as a personal vehicle. If you haven't pulled a trailer before it will take some practice. By the way an F-350 is considered a 1 ton, not a ¾ ton.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

This is a new field to me and I have learned a lot over the last couple weeks, however I have not driven a pick up and a trailer of the size I am looking to potentially buy so I am not sure what to expect on the difficulty of driving with one of these. Looking for feedback from people who have done both.

I own a 20 foot trailer for another business I'm into, you'll be surprised how much maintenance it requires, and parts ain't cheep!

King of short runs.

Reactions: ntimevan

kijix

New Recruit
Driver
The warehouse has both a loading dock and a loading area. I can use either.

If I went with the box truck, it produces a whole new set of questions, for instance

1. If MPG is important to me, what trucks should i avoid?
2. What make of box truck is the cheapest to maintain?
3. Gas or Diesel?
4. Other than staying away from renter trucks like uhaul, should i look out for anything else?
5. At what mileage should I stay away? There is a truck that looks like it was well taken care of, and has a large lift gate which I need, but has 310k miles.

I know this is alot of questions. I dont expect anyone to actually answer all of them but i twould be nice to know if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with certain brands / years / types of box trucks that may help me in my search.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you want useful answers to your questions please be more specific. If loading docks are available for your use why the need for a liftgate. Do you pick up at facilities with docks and deliver to places without docks? How many miles a year will you put on a truck? If you buy a used truck from Penske and your current gig doesn't work out you can always join us van expediters. Just get a sign that states: GVWR UNDER 10,000 LBS

Reactions: tknight

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with moors questions ,if everywhere has docks why not go dock high that a lift can load and unload?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How many miles are you looking at in a given day?

If mostly local my advice would be a ford f650 with a 24 foot box and a lift gate that is larger than the one you used on the rental. There are many sizes of liftgates the rentals just usually have the most common size on it.

Nice thing about the ford is you can get it with a gas v10, no diesel emission issues, cold start problems and much cheaper to maintain.

The carrier I used to run for has local trucks and went to those trucks and he has had a few oddball problems with things like mirrors that pulled out of the doors but overall nothing major.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

kijix

New Recruit
Driver
I pick up all over the state and those locations do not have docks. They are regular retail business locations, not warehouses. The drop off warehouse has the dock. I'll put 30-40k miles per year. Do you use a f650 yourself?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I pick up all over the state and those locations do not have docks. They are regular retail business locations, not warehouses. The drop off warehouse has the dock. I'll put 30-40k miles per year. Do you use a f650 yourself?

I don't own it myself but I have driven the gas trucks a few times. Gas mileage was around 7mpg if I remember, less than a diesel but if you are only doing 40 to 60k a year, gas might be the way to go. Not going to get 500k out of a gas engine but will be much cheaper to replace a v10 than a diesel.

Oh and a nice trick for the lift gate..... install a wireless remote, I found a remote for a winch at tractor supply for $20 wow does that make it nice.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I prefer the pick-up with trailer although I have done them all from cargo vans to tractor trailers. my choice is the the f-550 and I pull a 36'x 102" air ride trailer with a 10' hydraulic dove tail and a 12000 lb winch.if you go with ford stay away from those with the 6.0 unless you have a bunch of cash sitting around to bullet proof it. as far as fuel mileage well I have an older truck and when fully loaded around 18,000# I am only getting around 9 mpg. my 2000 fl-70 with 24' box got around the same but maxed out around 12k cargo. in the last year on my f-550 I have spent around 2k in repairs not counting oil changes and I have 513000 miles on the truck. the last year I ran a straight I spent closer to 5k and it only had around 250000 miles. but it had a cat under the hood so maybe that was part of it.the trailer has not cost me anything in repairs other than a little grease in the last year and 1/2. but I have only ran it about 30000 miles and purchased it new. 16" trailer tires are alot cheaper than 22.5 but I have 8 vs 4 on the other hand I hardly run with the lift axel down on the trailer unless loaded heavy.the 24' box truck was easier to get around in and had a sleeper but I prefer to stay in hotels and have a pick up to drive around if I am waiting for a load. much better food choices and easier to sight see.