Box on straight truck-length/height

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Hi! I,ve been browsing this site on a regular basis, and have not found out anything for box length/ height(I.E. 12'6" or higher.)
also I figured at least a 10 skid box with at least 96" sleeper.
I am not sure when this will happen, but still looking at the different vehicles still open option.
Thank you.:D
I do know the 40'ft rule. That is why I ask, because could look at smaller box , bigger sleeper.
I am still reading and learning.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
My box is 102" wide x 102" tall x 24' length outside dimensions.

I would strongly recommend the 102" wide on a dry box (no reefer). With the 102" outside width, I have about 98" inside width, which is enough to place to 48" x 48" skids side by side (very good thing). I don't "think" you can get a reefer box with anything near 98" inside width because of the insulated walls. The 102" wide boxes can be hard to find used, but their out there. If ordering new it wouldn't be a problem. I would never settle for less than 102" wide.

The height of the box is also 102" and if I were replacing it, I would try really hard to find something taller, but that is even tougher than finding the 102" wide. Taller boxes are very, very rare. A 108" tall box would be great and probably sufficent. My truck is only 12'6" tall now, so another 6" would put me at 13' total height and still less than most tractor trailers.

As for length. I would decide on a truck and sleeper and then calculate how much room you have left. In other words: you want all you can get. On a class 7 truck, you may be able to get a 24' box behind a 96" sleeper. On a class 8 truck with 96" sleeper, you would probably have to back up to a 22' box. If I were to build a new truck today, it would probably have a 96" sleeper on a class 8 truck with a 22' box...if I could afford it :). Those big sleepers ain't cheap!

All of this pertains to the general expedited dry freight truck. There are a lot of specialty trucks out there that don't have the largest box available and do just fine. There are a lot of things you need to know before you spec a truck, but I personally believe you should go for the biggest you can on the truck and be legal. Even if what you "plan" to do with the truck doesn't require it. What happens if your "plan" doesn't work out and you suddenly need that extra capacity to make a go of it at plan "B"?

One member here (the Col) had a cabover with something like a 28' or 30' box on it, with tandem drives and a lift axle. That might not be for everyone, but it was one heck of truck for capacity (and money).

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well here's the thing bigger sleepers don't make bigger money.

Here is a general idea of what you can and can't do.

Think inches when you are trying to work out how big a box you can have.

The maximum length that you can have is 40 feet or 480 inches. THIS from the last explanation I was given by FMCSA does not include the porch for a lift gate or other things like ramps. Who knows with them, they could not cite the regulation for me so I put that in my doubtful section of my notes.

The first thing you have to deal with is the Bumper to Back of Cab (BBC)measurement which is in Inches and pretty much seem to be a general standard among trucks.

Class 7 trucks are usually two types, 106 and 112 BBC. The 106 type normally have the smaller engines in them - Cat C7/3126, Cummins 6BC/ISC, etc. The 112 usually has the C12/3406, Cummins ISM, Detroit 50/60, etc in them.

Class 8 trucks are either 112 or 120 (with a couple exceptions like WS and COE). The 112 have the smaller engines in them and the 120 have the usual really nice large HP making ones.

IF you want to know the difference between the two, it is simple, class 7 are made for people who want to get beat up while driving and class 8 is for people who want to feel good about the drive. I know this is sarcastic but ...

Now to the sleeper ... the sleeper is not always 60, 72, 84, or apartment size. It all depends on the maker. Sometimes, depending on the design, it can be a few inches longer. I have to add that if you get a separate sleeper (meaning not integrated into the cab) you should add a few inches for the seal and gap between the cab. I have seen one good sleeper 'put together' company but from my experience there are a few I would stay away from - your choice.

Here is one example - M2102 freightliner with a 72 inch sleeper.

The cab is 102 inches - 102 inches total

The sleeper is 72 inches - 174 inches total

leaving you with 306 inches.

Taking about 6 inches for gaps between the cab/sleeper and the sleeper/box, leaves you with 300 inches.

300 leaves you with a 25 foot space to put a 24 foot box on.

Not a 25 foot box, why?

Because the box inside dimension is 25 feet and some inches or 24 feet and some inches, there is no exact measurement unless you get into a very custom box.

Reefer boxes have less space than dry boxes, boxes with roll up doors are sometimes a little larger than ones with barn doors but to be safe I would stick a 24 foot box on the thing.

If you are looking at a class 8, it will have to be either an factory sleeper from the factory which the largest seems to be 85 inches or a day cab with a sleeper attached. I would go with the standard 72 inch sleeper if you were not going to buy new. If you are making the $175k investment, I would get a new class 8 with an factory sleeper and have it customized.

By the way, 20 feet should get you ten on the floor.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Good explanation Greg!
Our box is 24 foot and we have only used it to capacity once. We did a 13 skid load that was booked as a 10 skid D load and the shipper added 3 more skids when we got there. We did get E pay.
I would recommend a 22 foot box as wide and tall as you can find it.

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Thanks for the info I was looking at a couple of trucks this is why I aked. They are between 2 and five years old. varying sleeper size.
I thought about a tv and some times with wife ride along, needing double bunk w/ room to
stand up.micro etc. 2 of the trucks I have seen have the apu(don have technical info)
So I waas also thinking barn doors over rollup, with liftgate, and wanted to be able for feet. for secure loading.
so it looks like at least a 20ft box and 12-6 hi..

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
O by the way I do have experince in straight trucks and believe it or not, have to use logs
in the truck because of the distance we travel.
My specialty is air cargo. But the sleeper threw me off.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have probably filled my 24' box to capacity less than 10 times in about 3 years of running. But, I can't count the number of times I have gotten the load because I had the bigger box. If there is a larger truck available, the customers seem to request it for some reason. I guess they just want to make sure they have all the space they can get. I've been booked on a lot of 10-12 skid loads and only leave the shipper with maybe 5 skids.

I used to have a lift axle and it was the same difference. They would book me for 24' and 19,000lbs. I might leave the shipper with 5 skids and 10,000 lbs. The lift axle was huge a benefit too, but it had it's negatives and most of our freight doesn't need it. It started giving me problems, so I took it out.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Greg's post on "Bumper to Back of Cab" (BBC) is how I've always understood it. I wasn't sure if it was standard or not though.

It sounds like you would be happy with a factory 72" sleeper and a 24' box with liftgate. Anything with double bunks will have some extra height on the sleeper and that is good, not only for standing room, but for aerodynamics. The taller sleepers do a good job lifting the air up and over the top of the box.

I would probably try to find a tuck-away liftgate that doesn't add any length to the truck. If not, I would probably go with a 22' box if the liftgate is going to have a lip extending past the end of the box. My 120" BBC truck with a 72" sleeper and 24' box is pushing the 40' length to the very max.