Bolt driver killed

sockhat

Seasoned Expediter
Has any one heard about a b unit driver for bolt
being fataly killed when he rear ended a semi in texas ?
just curious what happen

Last edited:

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Has any one heard about a b unit driver for bolt
being fataly killed when he rear ended a semi in texas ?
Tried looking uo news articles in texas- but not sure what part of state accident happen in. Would be interested to know what happen. I think he was a solo -just wondered if they'd booked him too many miles and not enough of a window to sleep. Another possable good reason to limit hours on solos.::

BS. Why do you think that he has not sleept enought? So let's have just 2-300 mile runs. Like senior citizens. 2-300 miles with 5 hours break every 75 miles....

sixwheeler44

Expert Expediter
BS. Why do you think that he has not sleept enought? So let's have just 2-300 mile runs. Like senior citizens. 2-300 miles with 5 hours break every 75 miles....

u r wrong u van drivers need sleep just as much as us straight trucks do.n yes u should b regulated just like us .

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
What caused the accident? It could have been a mechanical problem, the truck could have cut him off, it could have been fatigue, or it could have been any other host of causes, but it would be irresponsible of us to jump to conclusions before we have all the facts, especially when suggesting policy changes.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
No particulars yet, but yes there was an accident and the driver did die from what i heard. As to Bolt booking any driver too many miles and not giving them enough time to rest...B/S....i picked up in West Bend Wisc. at 1400 and delivered to New Holland Pa. , 800 miles and I had a "protect time" of 2200 tonight. Thats 32 hour. I was able to drive it and stop and sleep for 4 hours and still drop at 1045 this morning, almost 11 hrs early.

Bolt is no different then any other company and they are not going to give any driver too many miles to run and not make sure they can get enough rest to be safe. Yes we will run straight thru, but there is also time built in for rest...

At this point, pray for the drivers family and leave the speculation out of it....

Last edited:

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Why people think that typing on the internet is a good excuse to ignore proper spelling is beyond me. :D

I blame texting for this. He probably does it while driving too:eek::mad: and yes lets pray for the drivers family and keep the speculations out of it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Why people think that typing on the internet is a good excuse to ignore proper spelling is beyond me. :D
Poor spelling I can handle. I really can. If someone chooses type their mind in a manner that shows them in a certain light, so be it. What I can't handle is the fact that there are people in this industry who don't and won't even know their job. They think that just because a vehicle hauls freight that (a) it is a commercial motor vehicle and therefor (b) it should be regulated, which tell me they don't know the first thing about their job. They don't have a clue as to why certain freight-hauling vehicles are regulated with HOS and why others are not. These are the same people who think there is such a thing as "non-placardable" HAZMAT.

As for those who for some reason think they are even in a position to intelligently defend a carrier in all cases, I call BS. Sure, most of the time loads are booked with enough time to safely deliver it, but for someone to say that Bolt never books a load for a solo driver without the driver having enough time to take a break is a load of crap, 'cause I know better, and so do those who are saying it. All it takes is one lengthy delay at a shipper and then dispatch not adjusting the delivery time to wipe out any built-in rest period for the driver (if a rest period was even built into the load from the start, which isn't always the case, as often the only rest period built into the load is whatever time the driver can make up beyond 50 MPH). So in addition to the speculating, let's knock off the sugar coating while we're at it. The only actions that can be defended, or blamed, are your own.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess I'm old fashioned. I want to see correct spelling and grammar with only the unavoidable blip here and there that hits all humans. I especially wonder why someone intelligent and accomplished would go out of their way to appear unintelligent and a hick. Oh well, it is what it is.

On topic, I think it's safe to say that by policy Bolt, Fedex, Express-1 and many other companies do not intentionally book loads without the appropriate amount of time available to run them. No BS involved and no rose colored view of any particular company, just the opinion that the reputable companies do not intentionally set up unsafe situations.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got rear ended by a semi and hurt very seriously once. The guy had been on the clock less than two hours. Maybe we better limit drive time to one hour before a break.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
better than ban the van.......ship EVERYTHING by train. keep the highways safe. csx can do it and only use 1 gal of fuel.:D:D

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I got rear ended by a semi and hurt very seriously once. The guy had been on the clock less than two hours. Maybe we better limit drive time to one hour before a break.

His log book might have said he had been on the clock less than 2 hours,but who knows what he was doing for the 10 hours preceding that.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
His log book might have said he had been on the clock less than 2 hours,but who knows what he was doing for the 10 hours preceding that.

Exactly and this was a young farm kid hauling corn to market. My point was they can tell you to take a break but can't make you sleep.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
better than ban the van.......ship EVERYTHING by train. keep the highways safe. csx can do it and only use 1 gal of fuel.:D:D
train1.jpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Besides not knowing what he'd been doing for hours before the wreck we also don't know if he had already done a full 11/14 in another logbook prior to the 2 hours in the book he showed. A few operators even brag about running 3 logbooks.

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
Heck why don't we just scrap any and all vehicles that are commercial. Then sell all the steel to China for a low price too. We will also have amish buggies haul everything too, and what they cant get done we will let Mexican trucks do the rest. I'm game for regulating van too, as long as I get the rate that a ST or TT get. Why are we so quick to speculate on a van accident??