Bob Tail Vs Straight Truck

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
On the "Ask the Recruiter" forum,a TT driver was asking about how the expediting business would be for a bobtail.

The answer was amusing,when the recruiter said it would be difficult to load much freight in the sleeper.

The fact is in parts of the country.a straight truck is refered to as a Bob Tail.

My first encounter with this geograpical oddity was when this midwestern boy was sent to Houston Tx to manage a warehouse.The first time I called for a freight pick up,I was asked if I wanted a Bob Tail. No I replied,I need a straight Truck.We went back and forth on this unti I began to understand.

Along these same lines.While taking some training in Green Bay Wi.driving a TT for Schnieder National,my instructor told me to make a turn at the "Stop and Go". Along I go looking for a "Stop and Go" convience store. I had never heard of a Traffic light being called a Stop and Go.He was very upset at my stupidity.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
My first encounter with this geograpical oddity was when this midwestern boy was sent to Houston Tx to manage a warehouse.The first time I called for a freight pick up,I was asked if I wanted a Bob Tail. No I replied,I need a straight Truck.We went back and forth on this unti I began to understand.

Strange you mention this. We use to take a ocassional broker load from a place called Bobtail Express in Houston.
On our very first time we thought we were picking up trucks instead of freight.
They thought we were kidding them when questioned. We were serious.
I am sure they were laughing good after we left.

Davekc

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
For the record...

I really was just kidding around about that. I can't pass up an opportunity to take something literally. Just my sense of humor.
Sorry if I seemed insensitive....

- Scott

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is one of those, you laugh about it now.
Much harder now:7

Davekc