board position question

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
OK PODed yesterday in Erie it said the daily was 1 looked around and to my dismay it showed most of the neighboring boards at rally low numbers there wear a few 5 and a 7 but most showed 1 even Romulus had 13 trucks there showing a daily of 1

today this am, they are back much higher my board is showing a 3; Romulus/Detroit is at 13, ect

anybody have a clue what happened or is happening with the system and what numbers do you work from?

i assumed the numbers are low because of the holidays but with the big R or possibly D depending which economist is yapping. resetting the board numbers to the level of last month would be inaccurate as well i just don't know what to think

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
You want my theory, Either they had 60 Loads come out yesterday to bring the 5 day average up 13 in Romlus or, I bet they just put in a projected load count. In hopes that we will take that 250- 350 mile load and not think we will be dead in the water after del. Just my Theory..
________
Babes Webcam

Last edited:

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It would be relatively simple to post a figure which is accurate. However, you can ask how they arrive at these figures, and get 4 different answers. I think the only one accurate is macro 32 telling how many trucks on on that board. Then, all you have to determine is where the boundries of the board lie.

Don't hold your breath for change, or a better answer from the company.

Road Hooligan

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
I sure am glad Im on a 2 a day board ............................only been 2nd out for the last 10-12 days.......LOL
________
Kid zoloft

Last edited:

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
The load count is for a 5 day rotation and will change everyday, and backhauls booked out of that area will also be included in that count. So in theory you can be sitting on a board showing 10 a day and never get a expedite load out of that area, for example...I was sitting in LA showing 10 a day average and sat for 3 days without a offer for an expedite, come to find out it was backhauls generating the numbers.

Last edited:

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
Easy I get what you are saying but, for a board to go from 1 a day to 13 a day overnight on the saturday after newyears is a stretch IMO, to up the 5 day average they would have to have about 60 loads come out in that 1 day. Unless they use some other kind of math than I do. And from what Ive been told the load count is by truck size.
________
properties Pattaya

Last edited:

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
I know they count switches and backhauls but, I wonder if they count loads that are paid for by A Detriot company that dont originate or swap in Detroit??? That would be any load for the big 3 would be counted as a detriot load????????????
________
Electronic cigarettes

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Since Detroit is where NLMI is located, can you imagine the numbers that Detroit would show? Panther does probably 35% or so NLMI. That can mean hundreds of loads per day off the Detroit board.

The load counts on the boards come from the shipper location, not the paying party's location. Backhauls count from where they are picked up, not from where they are booked, as well. LA's numbers can look skewed, because of the high number of mini's that come from there. I've run 4 mini's in one day in LA. Also, you can be sitting on a high load count board and not get any loads, simply because dispatch still goes 50 miles out to look for trucks. You can be at one of the TA's in Ontario and be more than 50 miles away from all of the beach pickups, like the warehouses around LAX. If they don't see any available trucks within 50 miles, they'll go 100 miles out and then you'll be seen. In any case, load counts are a historical average and do not guarantee future (or today) availability.

As for truck classes, online and on the QC (Macro 8, Macro 32), load counts are, indeed, broken down by truck class. As long as the system knows your truck number during an enquiry, and thus knows your class, it will give you load counts for your class. Tractors have their own class (E), as do vans (A), but all sizes of straight trucks (B, C, D) are lumped into a single class. You can call into dispatch and ask how many loads (not merely the average) has come out of a particular board in the last 5 and the last 21 days, and if you want it (and they are accommodating), they'll give you the numbers for your truck class, as well as another truck class. I don't do it often, but on occasion I've called in to get van counts, and a total count for all classes, just to get an idea of the amount of freight that might be moving out of a particular area.

As for the load counts being way off, too high or too low, these last few days, part of that is the holidays messing with the averages, and part of it was due to some database maintenance that was performed that caused many of the numbers to be reset or be inaccurately reported. The numbers should all fall back into normal range by the middle or end of this week.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I delivered in Troy this morning and was number 40 on the Detroit/Romulus board.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dontcha love it? All those people who got laid off from the Detroit auto plants, well, they're all expediters now, 'cause anybody can drive a banned van, and they're all just sitting at home, In-Service, turning down load after load swapping out in Romulus going to Windsor.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went trolling yesterday afternoon. Didn't even get a nibble. I ended up in Chicago, #7, showing 18 loads a day.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Some of the info I posted earlier in the thread was incorrect, once brought to my attention, I have since removed the incorrect info...sorry for the confusion.:eek: