bluetooth

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am getting ready to start driving in the next 3-5 weeks. I have been looking at GPS and other cool stuff. I come from a high tech backround so I like those toys. I have seen things that talk about *Bluetooth*. I am no familar with that system. What is it? Will it help me in anyway? On another subject. Is it legal to keep logs on a computer? Is there software for it? Where can I look online to find trucking industry related software? Thanks for your help.

Joe, soon to be out there.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
I don't claim to be an expert, but this is as much as I know about the subject: Blue tooth technology will allow your phone to interface remotely with the communications systems installed onboard the newer model vehicles to enable truly "hands free" communication while operating the vehicle.

I know that Daimler Chrysler has been working with this technology aboard 2005 platforms, and since that is the case I would expect Freightliner to be following closely behind, especially with the lobbyists screaming about "distracted drivers".

Thanks for visiting "Scott's technology corner". Be safe and have a nice day.

"My Old Ride"

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/images/scott_han_sig_file.jpg

Questions About Express-1?
Call me 1-800-800-5161

-----------------------------------------

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Blue tooth is a wirless technology. It allows any blue tooth enabled device to work with any other blue tooth enabled device without a physical connection.

Thus if your bluetooth enabled Laptop is close enuf to your bluetooth enabled printer it will work. Delorme offers a blue tooth enabled gps unit, keyboards, mouse and cell phones also work.

If your current equipment is not blue tooth enabled i have found USB to bluetooth adapters at CompUSA.

I would like to get some of those adapters myself to keep from having to unhook a bunch of wires to my printer, webcam, gps, external hard drive every time i want to take my laptop into a truck stop and peruse expeditors online with a hot cup of coffee in relative comfort

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Only downside I have seen to the blue tooth GPS recivers is they run on batteries. I'd much rather have to pull a USB plug out to move my laptop than feed a reciver batteries :) I have 3 USB items in my truck. My music keg adapter to load it(20 gigs of MP3's at my fingertips in my radio), my gps reciver, and a external hard drive I keep a bunch of stuff on. I just got a small self powered USB hub, plugged them all it to it. So I just pull the one plug and off I go.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for all the info, any idea where I can buy software that is desinged for the industry?

Thanks, Joe

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
atk.com is where you go. Co-pilot trucker.

Start off with Microsoft streets with the gps reciver (or Delorme) load it on your computer to get going, send in the media to atk for the upgrade to co-pilot and keep the GPS reciver. I think it's 99 dollars that way (your gonna save if you jump through the hoops) use what ever you bought until co-pilot shows up and then uninstall it and install co-pilot :)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Joe,

Just a word of advice - when ever you purchase an electronic gadget and you have the option of getting Bluetooth, get it. More and more products from printers to scanners are using it.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

A billion Chinese can't be wrong, eat rice.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
If i have two accessories with bluetooth capability, would I refer to them as blueteeth units?

LakeSide

Not a Member
Note: everything mentioned below was purchased off Ebay at 35-65% off retail.

1.) got me a real nice Dell laptop [nuttin fancy but runs everything we'd need it to]

2.) Delorme Street Atlas 2005 with Earthmate GPS reciever

3.) CoPilot Truck 4 Laptop Version. The beauty of this software is that the Delorme GPS unit works just fine for {CoPilot} after you install the drivers for it. The drivers are on the Delorme install CD. Directions for installation are located on the ALK website.

4.) Got a 7" LCD monitor with a {windshield mount} suction cup goose neck arm. I'm able to secure the monitor in upper left side of windshield and can raise and lower it when needed. I like the idea of having a heads up view of the map and easily pushes out of the way when needed. The key in this installation method is that you can view your position and keep your eyes on the road. You must purchase a monitor with VGA input. My particcular monitor has speakers so you can use the voice navigation if required.

Smart shoppers/bidders can assemble a package similar to this for around 1,200 - 1,500 ............. I DID :)

raceman

Veteran Expediter
That website is ALK.com not ATK. Other info is correct. Trade in current software for CoPilot. They are offering some very good deals right now. I spoke to them yesterday. They said my Microsoft GPS locator should work with CoPilot and therefore I save another $100 by not needing their Locator. Mine is on the way so I will report back later.

Raceman
OTR O/O

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cool stuff!!!!! Can anyone tell me if it is legal to keep logs on the computer? Where is there software available? Thanks, soon to be out there, Joe

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Yesterday I closed the deal on my new CoPilot GPS software. Turns out if you are buying CoPilot truck you can not take advantage of the competetive upgrade. They say there is no competetive software and I agreed they are right so I ended up paying full price and will get to keep my Microsoft Streets and Trips as a back up.

They did give me free shipping since I was confused by the upgrade deal. If you are just buying CoPilot you can get the great deal for sending in your competeive software. It does not apply to CoPilot Truck.

If you want to look into it you can check out www.ALK.com

I will have my new Software Friday and will report back on it in the next week or so.

Raceman
OTR O/O

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Drivers Daily Log is a program made for keeping logs on your computer. I use to use it, it was GREAT. Does your re-caps and tells you exeactly when you run out of hours.

Is it legal? Yes, however, you MUST be able to print your logs and sign them if you are asked. So be SURE to carry a printer with you and of course paper and extra ink.

My last carrier earned themselfs a unsatasfactory rating with the DOT so I saw the inside of ALOT of coops. I normally just brought all my paperwork in and my laptop so they could see my logs, if they wanted copies I'd go out to the truck and run off copies for them, most of the time they would stop me on my way out and say "thats fine, you must have a printer". Most of the time they would just look at the sreen make sure I was not in the yellow zone (over hours) and let me go.

The program has a 90 day trial and is 70 dollars for a lifetime license. I highy recremend it if your going to log on your computer. It handles confusing split logging and does not make math errors. It also tracks fuel tax and other expenses.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am sure glad I found this site, you guys (and gals) are really helping me. I am learning more each day. Most everything has been a help. Thanks everybody.

Joe, even closer to bein out there.