Blow by weigh station

Jasonavalent

Seasoned Expediter
What happened to you when you got caught....I could CARE LESS what your opinion is if you have never purposely passed a weigh station and actually were caught because thats just an opinion.... Just wondering thanks!

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I've blown by a few, not out of malice but just daydreaming, twice in the last year once in CO and the other in CA,

They didn't chase me. In Co I pulled over and waited a few minutes but they weren't paying attention I guess.

Jasonavalent

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your response ive passed once cuz i was actually over weight and never was pulled over either and 2wice on accident...I wonder what they will do..im sure they cant ticket u just for not pulling in

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I would think if the weigh station is only manned by one person, they are not paying attention to the road, just the truck going over the scales. Just my opinion. Here in Indiana on I69 sometimes there will be 5 or more state police cars sitting at the weigh station, if you pass you will get pulled over

Jasonavalent

Seasoned Expediter
thats what they want you to think maybe I think they would really be more likely to let you go becuase their just not willing to work that hard still have never met anyone whos been pulled over

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
...I wonder what they will do..im sure they cant ticket u just for not pulling in

I am sure they can ticket you because pulling in is the law
In my situation I know where the stations are and drive around them if I am close to be overweight, why chance fate if I am within 100 pounds of being overweight

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
i went by one in FL. No sign saying open or closed...oops, DOT waiting at end of ramp for me, chased me, gave me ticket for not obeying traffic signal....to answer that question. Tried to explain that the open/closed sign was off..Fortunatly, i paid 150.00 fine, and it does not show up on my record. What bothers me is, this is all about safety and not running overwieght...he never checked my paperwork to see if or what i was hauling, or, made me turn around to get wieghed.
Of course, i've been overwieght in past, got pulled in, paid fine, sent on merry way...safety my behind!!

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
When we were new to expediting I accidently passed a weigh station in Maine. The weigh station is to the right just after going through the toll gate. Since we had prepass I thought if it did not go off that meant I did not have to stop. lol The DOT officer pulled me over and read me the riot and explained that unless it gives me the green light I have to enter the weigh station. Guess he must of felt sorry for me, seeing what a dummmy I was, since he did not write me a ticket he just made me go up, turn around, go back turn around again, go back through the toll gate and go through the weigh station then he gave me a level 1 DOT inspection, needless to say my very first DOT inspection. lol I learned fast after that. :D

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The ticket for not stopping at a weigh scale is the same ticket you would get for not stopping at at a stop sign or red light.If you have passed a scale and didnt get stopped feel very lucky.In Va if you pass the entrance but stop and walk your paperwork in,they may let you go or fine you 35 bucks as my co had happened one time.
I passed a rest area in NY one time that was being used for a scale.It was purely accidental.They came after me and the fine was 177 bucks.

movercash

Seasoned Expediter
I got pulled over for blowing by the big one coming out of Laredo. The first 2 big electronic signs were in English and the scale wasn't open, by time I got to the 3rd sign which is in spanish it had opened up. I just kept going and got pulled over, when asked why I blew by I said the signs said closed he informed me the third one said opened. I informed him that was written in some kind of gobbledy gook and I was only required to speak and read English.He just gave me a big grin and told me to have a nice day.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I passed by the weigh station on I-75 N.Bound just into Michigan around mm-9 as there wasn't any room on the shoulder to pull over and wait in that long line safely as it was the morning rush hour. I got stopped a ways down the road by the DOT. Needless to say that he was not happy, Chewed me out and made me follow him back to the scale house where after I weighed he had me come in and Chewed me out some more. Needless to say he really wasn't interested in as to why I didn't stop But He didn't give me a ticket either. Guess the double butt chewing was payment enough for him. :D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I passed by the weigh station on I-75 N.Bound just into Michigan around mm-9 as there wasn't any room on the shoulder to pull over and wait in that long line safely as it was the morning rush hour. I got stopped a ways down the road by the DOT. Needless to say that he was not happy, Chewed me out and made me follow him back to the scale house where after I weighed he had me come in and Chewed me out some more. Needless to say he really wasn't interested in as to why I didn't stop But He didn't give me a ticket either. Guess the double butt chewing was payment enough for him. :D

Here in Indiana, there is a sign/line on ramp if trucks are past that point you can bypass legally
I don't think it is safe to wait on the shoulder

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here in Indiana, there is a sign/line on ramp if thrucks are past that point you can bypass legally
I don't think it is safe to wait on the shoulder

that scale has a sign..When ramp full use shoulder....Mi doesn't want to miss a cent....I don't think it is safe either...

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
Blew past one in CO, the one west of Denver. I turned around and went back in, but then realized that it's off the freeway down the ramp and probably could have kept going. Shot past one in TN, but they also have the line on the ramp saying full. That was good, I was behind on the run and that non-stop got me there on time. I wouldn't dream of doing it in Michigan, they will hunt you down.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I am sure they can ticket you because pulling in is the law
In my situation I know where the stations are and drive around them if I am close to be overweight, why chance fate if I am within 100 pounds of being overweight
A guy told me he was cuffed and stuffed once for blowing by one. Don't remember what state.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
What happened to you when you got caught....I could CARE LESS what your opinion is if you have never purposely passed a weigh station and actually were caught because thats just an opinion.... Just wondering thanks!
I'm pretty sure you mean you couldn't care less.

My first week in a big truck, I was in Kansas. Saw the sign and planned to pull in. First looked at my radio and changed the station. Looked back down and was passing the entrance. That was the shortest and quickest mile I've ever experienced.

Pulled onto the shoulder immediately and walked in with my bills. Two older ladies were in there, crocheting as they sat, no chase car around. "Get out the cuffs," one said to the other as I walked in. They just looked at my bills, saw I was light and sent me on my way.

A few months ago, I was on I-75 southbound, just delivered, and was on my way to the Petro near Elizabethtown. There's that scale just north of there. "Wonder if I should stop," I thought, you know, being in KY. "Nah, no way. Vans shouldn't pull in, it's just not right. Besides, what are they going to do, chase me down?"

So I blew by, and by the time I got to the Petro exit ramp, sure enough, there was a cruiser behind me, but his lights and siren weren't on. I continued up the ramp and turned right, and he followed. I turned into the Petro, and he followed. I found a place to park, and he continued past and went away.

My first year in a big truck, I was on I-80 in Indiana. They had that "Ramp full at this point" sign. I was the last truck that could fit on the ramp ahead of that line. The line was moving slowly. "They got me, but I'm going to help other drivers," I decided. The line creeped ahead. I stayed put so no one could fit on the ramp behind me. Everybody saw what I was doing and thanked me on the CB as they went past. About the time the last couple trucks ahead of me were about to cross the scale, I put 'er in gear and pulled up. The scale house didn't stop me or say anything. Dozens of trucks bypassed because I sat there. The bear went hungry that night.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I know this is a Big truck thread, but in 2 1/2 yrs i have been on exactly 1 scale and that wass in ky and i have no idea why i did it. I was told to get my "toy truck " out of there....

Oh and I
am in michigan all the time and pass those scales on 75 all the time, never stop, never been chased down and i have no intension of ever stopping at them....