Big Thanks to EO Community

maxxedoutvan

Active Expediter
Hello to all , My name is Joe, I am a 61 years old, heavy equip/truck mechanic, forcefully retired by John Deere after many years of faithfull service ,due to hearing loss, But Thanks to JD my hearing has been restored thru bi aural choclear implants. I have been reading the forum since Christmas , It is very encouraging, and informative. I am contemplating a major career change into this community, and i am attending the EOU,seminar this comming Feb22nd, in Knoxville. What if any documents should i bring? liscence, physical, tax returns, etc..
I am currently studying for my CDL and have taken a DOT physical . I think I have met the minimum DOT standard of hearing . But I have a major hurdle and it is the phone conversation. So I have one, of many questions that I have not found in the archives : are all major carriers dispatchers instructions via phone??? do any of them use texting /email?? would they accomodate a my disability?. I plan to follow your advise regarding my equipment, a used cargo maxx, ultra maxx, or high cube van. etracks and straps. to get started. thanks again for all those of you that participate in this forum. its priceless to a newcomer. Joe

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Some carriers do have minimal phone contact and use the Qual Com to dispatch loads..yea you can get a quick phone call to see if a load is accept it or not..but there are carriers that don't even do that..they just send the load info over the QC and you decide if you are going to take it or not..turn it down and you will get a call, but accept it and you are all set...

Forget your tax returns, you are an independent contractor to the carrier, they don't care if you have or will make money or not, thats on you...

Smart move to avoid a regular CV....It sounds like you are approuching this from the right angle..Make you you seekout Nick and Jenny in Knoxville, they have forgotten more info then most of us ever knew....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There are some things that are done on the phone but the actual pickup and delivery info is done by a message at larger carriers. When you go to orientation at your chosen company I would ask them if they could leave a message in the system about your situation so that dispatchers know from the start. Glad to hear modern technology has you going again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Your not going to find a lot of used Cargomax or Ultramax vans I wouldn't think. They've not been around very long. There is a van on here somewhere for sale....Jack Berry's van. If it is still for sale, it's set up and ready to go for a good price. It's not as long as the others but does have the tall doors.

The phone issue is going to be a tough one imo. I would ask the carrier if they have dealt with it before. There might be something they could do that the rest of us aren't aware of.

Good luck..hope it works out for ya!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think I have met the minimum DOT standard of hearing .

Before you go any further, find out if you do. I would consider this as a show stopper, not thinking that it actually is but for one who has had to jump hoops on the dot physical every year the problem with your situation is that you may be alright with one doctor but not with another one, and to make matters worse, the FMCSA is having doctors register to give these physicals which means you don't have a doctor who knows you but you part of the cattle within the system.

By the way, I thought there was a wireless option for that implant?

maxxedoutvan

Active Expediter
Your not going to find a lot of used Cargomax or Ultramax vans I wouldn't think. They've not been around very long. There is a van on here somewhere for sale....Jack Berry's van. If it is still for sale, it's set up and ready to go for a good price. It's not as long as the others but does have the tall doors.

The phone issue is going to be a tough one imo. I would ask the carrier if they have dealt with it before. There might be something they could do that the rest of us aren't aware of.

Good luck..hope it works out for ya!

Rocketman you are right , there arent any used on the market, I cant find Jack Berrys listing , he must have sold it. Thanks

maxxedoutvan

Active Expediter
Before you go any further, find out if you do. I would consider this as a show stopper, not thinking that it actually is but for one who has had to jump hoops on the dot physical every year the problem with your situation is that you may be alright with one doctor but not with another one, and to make matters worse, the FMCSA is having doctors register to give these physicals which means you don't have a doctor who knows you but you part of the cattle within the system.

By the way, I thought there was a wireless option for that implant?

Greg, I have contacted the FMCSA-NRCME, and will get tested by a certified ME. I had gone to my regular hearing DR and had showed the DOT REG, which specify a minimum "able to hear a forced wisper at 5ft" and he said I would be fine. but that was done in a quiet office, not a chance on the side of I85. in regards to the wireless Im not sure. Ill ask the manufacturer. Thanks Joe

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Joe-
Look for any of OntarioVanMan's posts. In his signature line, he's got the link to Jack Berry's van. If you need any help finding it, let us know. It's a heck of a bargain, IMHO.

Oh, and welcome to EO.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Quoted from a different thread:

Here is the link to his original post when he bought it. Much like the Cargomax deals, this was a brand new 2008 Ford HCV he bought in 2010, and only ran a year before getting sick. I think it was original close to $35K if I remember correctly.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/41464-amazing-discount.html
Dale

Quoted from OVM's sig. line:

Jack Berrys van still for sale!! Great price NOW! $20,000....see link to contact

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jack-Berrys-Journey-with-ALS/245834202148748

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the risk of exposing myself to ridicule and mocking... I don't know how to copy and paste.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
At the risk of exposing myself to ridicule and mocking... I don't know how to copy and paste.

Hold the left side of your mouse down and run it over what you want to copy. When you see the pulldown, click the copy.

Then determine where you want to paste...click the right button and hit paste on the pulldown.

attachment.php