Bi-Fuel Conversions???

Norkie

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am exploring the Bi-fuel conversion for B-van. Does anyone out there have tis option? How is it working? Some of the positives I have found are:Natural Gas

Produces little or no evaporative emissions and can reduce carbon dioxide exhaust emissions by 20%.

Natural gas is a domestic, readily available fuel. Five million natural gas vehicles (NGV's) would use less than 3% of current annual natural gas consumption.

Natural gas is the cleanest burning alternative fuel. NGV emissions of carbon monoxide are approximately 70% lower, non-methane organic gas emissions 89% lower, and oxides of nitrogen emissions 87% lower.

NGV's also emit significantly lower amounts of greenhouse gas and toxins than do gasoline vehicles.

On a gallon-equivalent basis, natural gas costs an average of 15 to 40% less than gasoline and diesel. A clean burning fuel, it reduces vehicle maintenance. Many NGV users report that oil changes are only needed every 10,000 to 20,000 miles. Standard spark plugs last 75,000 miles.

Natural gas dissipates in the air, therefore will not get into the water table.

Unlike liquid fuel, natural gas cannot be siphoned from a vehicle so there is no worry of fuel theft.

I hope someone out there can help! Anyone have figures???

Thanks
Norkie

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I have heard good things about it too. I read an article about its use in tractor/trailers a few years ago. They said the only reason it wasn't being used now is their needs to be a distribution network established. I guess big oil isn't too thrilled about it.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-00 AT 07:21AM (GMT)[/font][p]http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/User_files/38f6ab916b891a19.jpg
Lawrence McCord

In Manitoba, Canada all their cabs use this type of energy. The fluctuations of gasoline does not effect these driver at all. It makes good sense to me use this fuel.

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

Jim

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Propane is the answer.

Lawrence is correct about the use of propane and natural gas vehicles in Canada. I have had 3 different vans that were either dual fuel,(gasoline and propane) or propane only. These were not conversions. They were ordered from Ford, GM, and Dodge, and made at the factory in Canada.

Canada has had a alternative fuel program for vehicles since the late seventies, and there is a very comprehensive national system of propane and NG fueling stations. Some folks even refuel their vehicles from a source at the front of their house, and the fuel is billed to their home natural gas bill.It is very common to see telephone companies, Canada Post office,the Canadian Armed Forces, and private fleets running all their vehicles on alternate fuels.

As for the performance of these fuels, and their cleanliness, think about all the factories where propane powered lift trucks work inside all day, with no ill effects. In my experience with propane the only time I had a problem was in the USA, trying to find a supplier that was open late at night, or one that had a vehicle type coupler, as oppossed to a barbecue tank fitting.

When I was running propane I used to go 20,000 miles between oil changes, and 100,000 miles on a set of plugs. The reason is simple. Propane is a clean burning fuel, and does not contaminate the oil like gasoline does. Think about this idea. Would you rather have your steak cooked on a propane barbecue ,or over a gasoline fire?

I have had many people ask me about the " risk of explosion" with propane, and I answer this way. The gas tank in a van is made from pressed sheet metal, a propane tank is a pressure vessel, just like a oxygen cylinder is. Which one will be stonger in a collision? The pressure vessel. Propane is pumped in to the tank of the vehicle under pressure, and when the fuel gets to the engine it is converted to a low pressure vapour, and atomised into the engine just as gasoline is sprayed in thru a carb, or fuel injection system. The power with propane is 5 to 10 percent less than the same engine on gasoline, and the mileage per gallon will be about 10 percent less than with gasoline. BUT, the savings come from the lower cost of fuel, and the much lower cost of maintenance.

My reccomendation would be this, get a van with dual fuel, gasoline, and either propane or natural gas. Run gas to start the day, switch over to the alternate fuel for as much time as you can, then go back to gas untill you find a propane station. Hint, most farm supply stores have propane for farm use. Hint. get a cheater hose made up to allow you to connect a barbecue fitting hose to your vehicle, this gets you around the problem I had in NY state at 2 am, where they had propane but didn't have the right fitting for a vehicle, only for BBQ tanks.

In summation, I think the gasoline companies will have to bow to pressure to have propane, or NG available at their stations soon. WE in Canada have had it for over 20 years. Jim Bunting...