Better paying loads

TeamTuzo

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I am new to expediting. I am currently working with four dispatchers. They will call me for a load 500 loaded miles 120 empty miles and want me to do it for $450... WTF.
They the dispatchers act like they are ashamed or embarrassed to ask for more money. And when I counter for $500.00 I don't get the load.
I don't understand. Can someone please shed some light on this.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am new to expediting. I am currently working with four dispatchers. They will call me for a load 500 loaded miles 120 empty miles and want me to do it for $450... WTF.
They the dispatchers act like they are ashamed or embarrassed to ask for more money. And when I counter for $500.00 I don't get the load.
Part of the problem is, you have too many dispatchers.
If two of them are bidding on the same load, they are going to drive down the rates in an effort to get the load.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are you driving a van? When I retired many carriers were paying 77cpm loaded for vans and maybe 25cpm deadhead after 50 miles. 500 loaded at 77cpm is $385 and 70dh at 25cpm (rounded) is $20 so that would be a $405 run with a lot of carriers. I don't know what current rates are but probably similar as they rarely change.

Reactions: dji123kid

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it possible in today's market to get .90 to $1 a mile on a extended Transit or Sprinter? 2015+ yr model? I'm assuming a % carrier would be the way to go.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me guess...lol..you are leased to 4 carriers at once driving some sort of van or cube, right??

dji123kid

New Recruit
Researching
Are you driving a van? When I retired many carriers were paying 77cpm loaded for vans and maybe 25cpm deadhead after 50 miles. 500 loaded at 77cpm is $385 and 70dh at 25cpm (rounded) is $20 so that would be a $405 run with a lot of carriers. I don't know what current rates are but probably similar as they rarely change.
Dang 77 cents per mile for a van seems pretty good

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dang 77 cents per mile for a van seems pretty good
You really think that .77 cpm for a van is good?? All mile pay or loaded only, those are garbage rates. Let me know how that works for you in a year and you are filing for bankruptcy...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: dji123kid

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
You really think that .77 cpm for a van is good?? All mile pay or loaded only, those are garbage rates. Let me know how that works for you in a year and you are filing for bankruptcy...lol
You got to remember not everyone thinks that .77 is a bad rate depending on what they had before.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ve been retired for 5 years now, the last rate I had for my van was 90 cents +FSC which would bump it to over a buck a mile. Deadhead was 25 cents a mile after 50 miles. I wouldn’t put my shoes on for 77 cents.

Sent from lost in space.
Every mile my van rolled last year, (empty, deadhead, loaded, personal) averaged $1.11 for all miles. I won't even say what my loaded mile average last year was..its sad how low of a rate many find acceptable.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
When I started expediting many moons ago in my sprinter the average rate was 1.45 a mile.

The reality is that not many companies nowadays pay the vans a decent rate. There are a bunch that pay even less then 77 a loaded mile. Unfortunately there is an endless supply of wanna-be truckers who buy vans and think that they are making money. They go out of business in short order but others take their place and unfortunately nothing will improve.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I started expediting many moons ago in my sprinter the average rate was 1.45 a mile.

The reality is that not many companies nowadays pay the vans a decent rate. There are a bunch that pay even less then 77 a loaded mile. Unfortunately there is an endless supply of wanna-be truckers who buy vans and think that they are making money. They go out of business in short order but others take their place and unfortunately nothing will improve.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Very well said. Often I can tell how well someone is doing by the appearance and visual mechanical condition of their vehicle. A dead giveaway most of the time not because they are running hard, but by the lack of funds. Even if they are running hard, that doesn't really mean that they are making money, either. As stated above, one can run the wheels off their vehicles for slave rates and not turn a profit. Technically, if the loaded rate per mile is low enough, they can possibly be running for a loss, all miles. But how many have heard the phrase " well, at least I'm moving" !!!..lol.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I guess I was lucky . I have been retired now 6 years. When I drove for the company I drove for I was getting $1.75 a mile. With all Accessories we receive .

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.