Before i quit my job and get my own authority...

Jorge A

New Recruit
Researching
Hello guys, thank you all for taking the time to read this.
I currently work for a food service company. I have full benefits and make about 80k a year but the hours are very physical. its exhausting at times but I recognize im blessed for my job. I really would like to go on the road and own my own straight truck. I recently got my class A cdl and got 4months driving with it. I have a full year of CDL b experience. I don't know where to start as far as the process to get my own authority and if you guys recommend me actually doing it. Im 25yrs old and its just me and my wife. Let me know what you think and I appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Unless you already know where your expedite loads are going to come from, your best bet is to lease on with a reputable carrier who will find you loads, and more importantly, pay you for running them.

Reactions: schwanman

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
If I had a job that paid 80k a year I wouldn't be out here like a dog on the streets.

My advice is to keep your job and save all the money you can. Then, when you have enough money to buy a truck outright and you still want to venture in expediting, go and drive for an owner for 6 months or so and learn the ropes. After that buy your truck cash and enjoy. Make sure you also have 10-15k as an emergency fund for the time when Murphy decides to strike.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk