Been awhile since I've posted, but I'm still interested in being an Expediter

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
I'm just over a year from retiring from the Navy, and I'm still interested in this line of work. Though I've read through some topics and I am seeing that straight trucks seem to get more work than vans/sprinters. So my question for all you vets (no pun intended) is should a rookie jump right in with a straight truck, or start in a van/sprinter type? :confused:

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
Daffy I was figuring solo, as the wife is a nurse and would rather not waist all of the money spent on her degree to ride around with me.

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
We were thinking Western OK, but I spent 3 years in central IN as a recruiter and saw quite a few expediters around mainly on the weekends, so I'm thinking she and I will need to revisit the idea of IN again. I'm originally from PA.

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
Well now that you mention it, I haven't brought it up lately, but retirement is approaching and she says to me "do what makes you happy" I enjoy driving and seeing the country, so I have been thinking either this or RV transporter, but back hauls in the RV world aren't so good from what my research shows, lots of dead heading. So this is one of those discussions that will not be settled in an afternoon for sure.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Straight truck has more Creature Comfort, Leg room, Bed, room for a fridge, Microwave etc...you were in the Navy you might be used to sleeping in a cramped bunk or laying on top of the Cargo etc....Maybe just before you jump someone would be willing to take you along for a week or two and let you see what the road offers....and yes three week tours will be the Norm and sometimes in the busy part of they year maybe 5-6....If you were in the service and gone your wife may not miss you as much....Good Luck

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
pearlpro, I agree with the living in cramped quarters though not a favorite aspect of my current career, it is a necessary evil when you have to figure out accommodate about 5500 people on one vessel. The main thing I was interested in learning is ya'lls opinions on how steady work is for both types. I was just in the NEWBIES thread and read about how tractors seem to do pretty good but others still prefer the ST. I have educational benefits which I can use to get my CDL so I'm thinking play it safe and go class A so I can go any direction I choose.