Bed setups in sprinter/cargo vans

TSXpress2015

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you have a permanent bed area, or do you break out a mattress/air-bed/cot? In my sprinter I have a twin mattress I can throw on the floor, but most of the time I sleep on the passenger seat. I have a sleeping bag stuffed with a 4 inch king size foam topper folded the long way in it. I'm looking to build something that folds down, and would like some input on how to hinge it and hang it.

Any pictures of your setup, or better ideas would be greatly appreciated.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I used a recliner from Camping World. It had a one inch thick memory foam layer and was very comfortable. It folded up to fit easily in my personal space even with 2 skids on board. I could recline so my head was directly beneath my Fantastic Fan. I have to sleep reclined not flat like a bed or cot so it worked great. Good luck with your project.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
7d95c29b6e5af856fde962470b3bad04.jpg
73afd004157a70b20c297052db1d76e4.jpg
6c326bad1213cd5f128b4df4acb718be.jpg
73e3b608f5af793219bd556937d4008d.jpg

I first screwed a piece of 3/4 ply to the wall that ran all the way to the floor. I screwed attached the bed to that using 4 heavy 4 inch hinges. My thinking is the van metal isn't supporting the entire weight it also transfers weight to the floor. I weigh about 210 the one full length drop down legs is plenty of support. I probably should have used 1/2 inch on the support leg rather than 3/8 it did tend to warp over time. I should have used some cutouts in the bed frame to lighten it.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used a recliner from Camping World. It had a one inch thick memory foam layer and was very comfortable. It folded up to fit easily in my personal space even with 2 skids on board. I could recline so my head was directly beneath my Fantastic Fan. I have to sleep reclined not flat like a bed or cot so it worked great. Good luck with your project.
Vertigo or just preference?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a hiatal hernia that can cause reflux problems if I lay flat.