Becoming a Fleet Owner

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
That bad huh? Well, I have this beautiful van just sitting here since Sept that I am paying on and its not earning me anything. Upside down of course so I would rather not take a huge loss on it. Thought it maybe worth a shot with the right driver.

Reactions: Mailer

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Usually see adds where its a 60-40 split between driver and owner. driver to cover fuel..

on a 150 000 miles its a $112 500 running at an avg of .75 a mile. now 60% of that 112 500 is $ 67 500. you would be left with $45 000. now you of course have to into consideration the insurance you would be providing, all the maintenance, tolls, repairs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erick Jones

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Usually see adds where its a 60-40 split between driver and owner. driver to cover fuel..

on a 150 000 miles its a $112 500 running at an avg of .75 a mile. now 60% of that 112 500 is $ 67 500. you would be left with $45 000. now you of course have to into consideration the insurance you would be providing, all the maintenance, tolls, repairs.

You were running 12,500 miles a month in your van and you walked away?

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...... Thought it maybe worth a shot with the right driver.

Project your potential numbers again....gross and expenses. It might be doable. That, if you can find a responsible driver and a good carrier.

I thought about doing it. Spoke to several small time van owners and constantly researching and reading EO. Though in my opinion at this point, I have neither seen the signs nor positive information that would persuade me in getting more vans.

When I'm starting to see them ad banners show up on the EO, like...Turtle Express, OVM Express, Ntimevan Express, Etc Express or whatever express. That's to me, a good time to think about having a fleet.

But hey, don't let my opinion discourage ya, give it a shot and good luck !

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
3618775006_ffb027f9cf.jpg

Erick Jones

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner

I like this break down......

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Be prepared to pay to work for your carrier some weeks. It's a yearly profit your after, some weeks your net will be negative, sometimes very negative. But over the year you should turn a profit.

I'm very picky with who I contract with to drive my trucks, I recommend you be the same. That said I have a couple trucks that are for first time drivers so I have some flexibility, you won't.

Outside of that I don't think I can help much as I run straights and not vans.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
From what I've observed, there is a world of difference between potential drivers of straight trucks and cargo vans. Because of the requirements for a CDL, logging, scaling and other FMCSA regulations, straight truck driver applicants seem to be more aware and serious about entering the industry as a business. On the other hand, cargo van applicants are looking for a job, any job, desperately, and since they have a driver's license they're good to go. While you definitely need to be picky with straight truck drivers, it pales in comparison with the level of pickiness needed for cargo van drivers. (exceptions all around, of course).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Point taken Turtle but man we get some that make you wonder how they got their CDL in the first place !!
No doubt. Sometimes you look at these drivers, especially after talking with them, and it's like, wow. Wow.

Being in a Sprinter I get to hang out with the cargo van drivers out front, and sometimes it's wow times 10. The ones who are driving their own vans are different (still crazy, mostly morons, of course, because anyone driving a van is), but the ones driving for an owner, they're just... out there. I won't be surprised if I see any of them dominating CNN's 24 hour news cycle for a while.

Within a few months of getting into expediting, I KNEW that I wanted to buy more vans and stick people in them. After a few more months of taking to fellow van drivers, especially those who drove for fleet owners, I ABSOLUTELY KNEW that I didn't want anything to do with more vans and sticking drivers in them. :eek: