Bathrooms

Kristi

Active Expediter
Why does it seem anymore that womens restrooms are disgusting? Before I started expediting I didn't rely on public restrooms very much so I guess I never noticed how gross they could be.

I've noticed less and less restrooms provide toilet seat covers so I have a thing of anti bactrial wipes. However it seems that the "hover" method is becoming quite popular. I understand not wanting to sit on a public toilet but come on if ur gonna "hover" at least make sure ur making it in the bowl. And if u don't then wipe the freaking seat off!

Another thing I've noticed is that the auto flush toilet is the new thing. Cool one less thing to worry about. But just like anything automatic they don't always do their job. MAKE SURE THE TOILET FLUSHED! My gosh I can't tell u how many times I've walked into a restroom and there's still crap (literally) in the toilet.

Here's my routine: 1) Wipe with Wet Wipe 2) Handle my business 3) Make sure toilet is flushed 4) Wash hands.
Not that hard!

Anyways sorry for ranting but this is one thing that drives me bat poo crazy!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I delivered a load of Fireworks to South of the Border the other day and right smack in the middle of the driveway was a bottle full of what looked to be orange juice with a Wal Mart bag right next to it. Do you recon he or she hovered in the sleeper?? Oh my I can't believe I wrote this.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
After 16 years in the restaurant business, I can say without a doubt the women's restrooms were consistently far nastier than the men's restrooms. Men are particularly bad about leaving the sink and the area around the sink wet and nasty, whereas women will clean up the sink area when they make a mess. But everything else, women take top place for wet, messy and nasty.

Here's an interesting read from ABC News 20/20.

Myth: Toilet Seats Are the Dirtiest Thing in the Bathroom
Oct. 14, 2005

Few inanimate objects arouse as much universal germ fear -- especially among women -- as the dreaded public toilet seat.

"That's like the first rule -- don't sit on the toilet seat," one woman told "20/20."
Another woman described public toilets as being both nasty and filthy. And a man told us he would "rather go almost anywhere else than a public bathroom."
"Fifty percent of American women won't sit on a seat without some type of guard or without hovering," said Allison Janse, author of "The Germ Freak's Guide to Outwitting Colds and Flu."

She admits she has spent years herself dangling over toilet seats, but now this self-professed germ freak is changing her attitude. She says paper toilet shields help your head more than your bottom, and those who hover often just leave a mess for the next person.

How Many Germs Sit on the Seat?

Mothers teach their daughters not to sit on a public toilet seat, but is this really a big source of germs?

"No," said Janse. "You're not going to get germs from your backside. You're going to get them from your hands."

To see if that's true, "20/20" asked Janse's co-author Dr. Charles Gerba to check our bathroom with his germ meter.

"Usually, actually the floor is the dirtiest, as you might guess," said Gerba.

The floor test revealed about 2 million bacteria per square inch. Gerba says that's about 200 times higher than a sanitary surface.

"This is pretty bad," said Gerba. "We consider that a fail. So you don't want to walk around barefoot in ABC News toilets."

Not surprisingly, the sanitary napkin disposal unit also failed the test and rated as the spot with the most germs in our ladies' room.

But our sink, an area that is usually a haven for germs, was found to be unexpectedly clean. The biggest surprise was found on the toilet seat.

"This is the cleanest spot so far," said Gerba.

Gerba defines a sanitary surface as something clean enough to eat off of, with no more than 1,000 bacteria per square inch. The toilet seat passed that test, but "20/20" reporter Don Dahler's desk failed.

Still, it will be hard for most people to accept the conclusions shown by the data.
"No matter how often you hear that, you know, it's safer to eat your turkey wrap off the toilet seat than your desktop at work, you're just not going to believe it," said Janse.

Avoiding Germs in the Stall

When you're out using a public restroom, there are a few things you should consider doing when it's time to visit a stall.

Janse said that since most people seek privacy by going to the stalls in the back of the bathroom, you will find fewer bacteria in the first stall.

And ladies, never put your bags on the floor.

"We found fecal bacteria on about 30 percent of the bottom of women's purses. So you may be moving bacteria from the bottom of the restroom floor to maybe the kitchen sink area when you're going to make lunch," said Gerba.

Here's another tip: Don't be deceived by appearances. While the men's room may look messier and smell much worse -- thanks to the urinal -- the ladies room harbors twice as much bacteria.

"There's probably more bacteria in the women's room because they spend a longer time there and also they bring in small children" said Gerba.

He says most of the germs you and your children pick up in the bathroom are on your hands, so make sure to wash them well but skip the so-called sanitary hand dryer.

"You actually end up with more bacteria with the hand blower because they're taking the air in the restroom and blowing it onto your hands with the bacteria on it," said Gerba.

But once your hands are clean there's no need to worry about the door handle.

"Really the cleanest areas in the bathroom are actually the door handle and the toilet seat," said Gerba.

He said that could just be because those are the two spots people fear and avoid the most.

Kristi

Active Expediter
Purgoose that's just yucky. Don't get me wrong I've had "gotta go" emergencies but I've always disposed of the "evidence" properly.

Skyrider I think I remember that thread a couple of months ago. I wasn't trying to create another thread like that I just go so irratated this afternoon about the bathroom situation at the J. I probably wouldn't have fussed so much about it had it been a once in awhile problem but it seems to being more and more common.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Purgoose that's just yucky. Don't get me wrong I've had "gotta go" emergencies but I've always disposed of the "evidence" properly.

Skyrider I think I remember that thread a couple of months ago. I wasn't trying to create another thread like that I just go so irratated this afternoon about the bathroom situation at the J. I probably wouldn't have fussed so much about it had it been a once in awhile problem but it seems to being more and more common.

Bathroom stuff can be funny, Im trying to remember, lol.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
After 16 years in the restaurant business, I can say without a doubt the women's restrooms were consistently far nastier than the men's restrooms. Men are particularly bad about leaving the sink and the area around the sink wet and nasty, whereas women will clean up the sink area when they make a mess. But everything else, women take top place for wet, messy and nasty.

Here's an interesting read from ABC News 20/20.

Myth: Toilet Seats Are the Dirtiest Thing in the Bathroom
Oct. 14, 2005

Few inanimate objects arouse as much universal germ fear -- especially among women -- as the dreaded public toilet seat.

"That's like the first rule -- don't sit on the toilet seat," one woman told "20/20."
Another woman described public toilets as being both nasty and filthy. And a man told us he would "rather go almost anywhere else than a public bathroom."
"Fifty percent of American women won't sit on a seat without some type of guard or without hovering," said Allison Janse, author of "The Germ Freak's Guide to Outwitting Colds and Flu."

She admits she has spent years herself dangling over toilet seats, but now this self-professed germ freak is changing her attitude. She says paper toilet shields help your head more than your bottom, and those who hover often just leave a mess for the next person.

How Many Germs Sit on the Seat?

Mothers teach their daughters not to sit on a public toilet seat, but is this really a big source of germs?

"No," said Janse. "You're not going to get germs from your backside. You're going to get them from your hands."

To see if that's true, "20/20" asked Janse's co-author Dr. Charles Gerba to check our bathroom with his germ meter.

"Usually, actually the floor is the dirtiest, as you might guess," said Gerba.

The floor test revealed about 2 million bacteria per square inch. Gerba says that's about 200 times higher than a sanitary surface.

"This is pretty bad," said Gerba. "We consider that a fail. So you don't want to walk around barefoot in ABC News toilets."

Not surprisingly, the sanitary napkin disposal unit also failed the test and rated as the spot with the most germs in our ladies' room.

But our sink, an area that is usually a haven for germs, was found to be unexpectedly clean. The biggest surprise was found on the toilet seat.

"This is the cleanest spot so far," said Gerba.

Gerba defines a sanitary surface as something clean enough to eat off of, with no more than 1,000 bacteria per square inch. The toilet seat passed that test, but "20/20" reporter Don Dahler's desk failed.

Still, it will be hard for most people to accept the conclusions shown by the data.
"No matter how often you hear that, you know, it's safer to eat your turkey wrap off the toilet seat than your desktop at work, you're just not going to believe it," said Janse.

Avoiding Germs in the Stall

When you're out using a public restroom, there are a few things you should consider doing when it's time to visit a stall.

Janse said that since most people seek privacy by going to the stalls in the back of the bathroom, you will find fewer bacteria in the first stall.

And ladies, never put your bags on the floor.

"We found fecal bacteria on about 30 percent of the bottom of women's purses. So you may be moving bacteria from the bottom of the restroom floor to maybe the kitchen sink area when you're going to make lunch," said Gerba.

Here's another tip: Don't be deceived by appearances. While the men's room may look messier and smell much worse -- thanks to the urinal -- the ladies room harbors twice as much bacteria.

"There's probably more bacteria in the women's room because they spend a longer time there and also they bring in small children" said Gerba.

He says most of the germs you and your children pick up in the bathroom are on your hands, so make sure to wash them well but skip the so-called sanitary hand dryer.

"You actually end up with more bacteria with the hand blower because they're taking the air in the restroom and blowing it onto your hands with the bacteria on it," said Gerba.

But once your hands are clean there's no need to worry about the door handle.

"Really the cleanest areas in the bathroom are actually the door handle and the toilet seat," said Gerba.

He said that could just be because those are the two spots people fear and avoid the most.
Riveting>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

paullud

Veteran Expediter
After 16 years in the restaurant business, I can say without a doubt the women's restrooms were consistently far nastier than the men's restrooms.

I used to work at WalMart and had to help clean the restrooms occasionally, the women's room was always the worst except once when there was a horrible mess in the men's room. It looked like some guy had a bad case of explosive diarrhea that ended up all over the toilet, floor, and even the wall.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why does it seem anymore that womens restrooms are disgusting?
Its called equality! Remember, you've come a long way baby. Say bye, bye to the Naugahyde™ fainting couch and hello to the real world. Men's restrooms have always been disgusting, except for the classier joints that put ice in the urinals. Nothing like fresh ice in the urinals.

Kristi

Active Expediter
Turtle I wish the was posted somewhere it big print so that women all over the US could read that

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Bathroom stuff can be funny, Im trying to remember, lol.

I'm with Kristi - it's quite the eye opener, discovering what total inconsiderate slobs women can be when no one can see them. I've been known to say "O, GROSS!" when entering a stall that someone just left - it makes me feel better, if nothing else.
Here's my 'bathroom stuff can be funny" bit: as a nurse, I was helping an older woman patient in the bathroom, and I assured her there was no need to 'hover', as she wouldn't catch anything from the seat. She thought otherwise, because her husband once caught the clap that way - honest! He DID, really! His doctor told him that [but not her, eh?]
That 'nonjudgemental' face taught in nursing school comes in handy, lol.

mbc383

Expert Expediter
Come on people you are making this for more than what it really is the female potty. I can not say anything other than I used to work at Hanes Mall as a housekeeper. I had to wash and clean both potties. Men and women keep it unclean. If the women don't like the restroom they let you know by leaving it in a corner but my boss would tell me you are not there until you are up to your elbows in it. When I was a bus driver I had a woman give me a four hour chat about how we can save money and water. She told me that she would drink water from the potty just think of the money you would save if you just stop fill your water bottle with potty. So don't let it get you down you are just going green....Thank from Linda and Micheal.....:):p:eek::rolleyes:

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if people leave their toilets the way they do in public restrooms. I don't mean it the way it sounds but you get the idea.

Kristi

Active Expediter
I wonder if people leave their toilets the way they do in public restrooms. I don't mean it the way it sounds but you get the idea.

I know some people who's toilets are worse, if u can belive that. I know others that u could brush ur teeth in their toilets.