Bass Pro Shops

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What is it with Bass Pro Shops and Cabellas, that get the juices flowing? I walk in to BPS, and it makes me feel like doing manly things, like camping, or boating, or shooting crossbow... things that I don't normally think about, let alone have an urge to do.

Went with the kids, woman, and her parents. Ran off with the kids to see the guns, but that area was packed. Go figure. So we went to the archery area. I'd love to take up archery with the chirlins. Then we go by camping stuff... need to go this summer. Want to buy a small plastic canoe for two, and just use it on the 30 acre lake, out back, even tho it's filthy.

Ahh... the urge to spend money we don't have. I could easily go broke in that store.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
IMHO, BPS has a good selection of expediter survival stuff for the road from camp-stoves to sleeping bags,Mr. Heaters and so on. If they don't have it, you don't need it. .........................................

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
BPS and Gander Mountain are my choice. I don't go into Cabela's since they stuck it in my ear.

None of them are as good as they once were. Far too much cheap stuff, low end equipment at premium prices. Also far too few products aimed at meeting local needs. Kinda like a "wally world" for the outdoors. BPS has even gone over the the "dark side" with many of them selling golf junk. Golf is bad for all that includes hunting, fishing and a clean environment. Promoted that sport is bad for the rest of their business.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BPS and Gander Mountain are my choice. I don't go into Cabela's since they stuck it in my ear.

None of them are as good as they once were. Far too much cheap stuff, low end equipment at premium prices. Also far too few products aimed at meeting local needs. Kinda like a "wally world" for the outdoors. BPS has even gone over the the "dark side" with many of them selling golf junk. Golf is bad for all that includes hunting, fishing and a clean environment. Promoted that sport is bad for the rest of their business.

Imagine selling things that provides the best return, shame on them. I'm not a golfer and just don't go in that section, not my business if someone else does.

Personally Cabelas is my favorite but I like them all.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Imagine selling things that provides the best return, shame on them. I'm not a golfer and just don't go in that section, not my business if someone else does.

Personally Cabelas is my favorite but I like them all.

Well, IF we ever meet I will go into how they are starting to lose money due to the fact that they are no longer meeting the needs of the customer. How at Gander it is MORE than possible to increase sale AND profits and get in trouble for it. Junk is junk. They ALL tend to pawn off cheap Chinese knock offs of real product and charge top dollar to do it. Cabela's even has an office in Hong Kong.

As to golf, I see the hundreds of millions of tons of herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers than they dump on the who knows how many acres of destroyed wildlife habitat as a direct threat to our water supply and general health. BUT, who cares? As long as we can wack little balls around where wildlife should be living. Not to forget the fun of driving little electric carts around without worrying about DWI laws.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, IF we ever meet I will go into how they are starting to lose money due to the fact that they are no longer meeting the needs of the customer. How at Gander it is MORE than possible to increase sale AND profits and get in trouble for it. Junk is junk. They ALL tend to pawn off cheap Chinese knock offs of real product and charge top dollar to do it. Cabela's even has an office in Hong Kong.

As to golf, I see the hundreds of millions of tons of herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers than they dump on the who knows how many acres of destroyed wildlife habitat as a direct threat to our water supply and general health. BUT, who cares? As long as we can wack little balls around where wildlife should be living. Not to forget the fun of driving little electric carts around without worrying about DWI laws.

Golf courses do the same as farmers or many homeowners and businesses it is hard to single them out.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Golf courses do the same as farmers or many homeowners and businesses it is hard to single them out.

Sure I can. Golf is a luxury not needed to sustain life. Farms are NEEDED to sustain life. I agree that homeowners are just as bad as golf courses in unneeded use of chemicals just to grow a crop that cannot be eaten. Besides, I can dislike what ever I want! :cool:

Now, IF one would want to place ALL golf course on the other big waste of habitat, cemeteries, THEN, I might look at them in a different light. No need to fertilize them either. You can plant all the dead dudes you want, water them, etc, and NO new people are going to grow out of those graves. Maybe a few zombies but there are already too many Obama voters as it is! :p

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

I forgot about all the cheap clothes made in Vietnam and so on,,,now where did I hear that name before.................

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

U gotta love the homeowner crowd buying millions of gallons of weedkillers and pesticides each year and spraying it into the air and ground to grow flowers and grass, ut oh,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm a homeowner, now what...............but don't u dare put a drop of oil on the ground, now that's pollution , isn't it.....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I forgot about all the cheap clothes made in Vietnam and so on,,,now where did I hear that name before.................

Yep. Next time take a look at their crawler harnesses. Cheap metal blades. Too light weight. Little "thump" when turning. Crummy hooks, snap easy. The clevesses have rough inside edges that can cut line and on it goes.

There is good equipment and then there is everything else. Everything else is junk. BPS, Cabela's etc sell the junk stuff. It will not catch as many fish as good tackle will and not hold up as well.

You can go right down the lines and, when compared to quality tackle, it is very easy to tell the difference.

MOST who know what they are doing would prefer to pay as much as 4 to 5 times as much for a quality harness as the junk. I know, I proved it.

The harness I sold had solid nickle, heavy blades, Sampo swivels, Mustad hooks and quality line. The blades turned much slower and had good "thump". They sold for around $4 bucks each. The cheap Gander stuff sold for a buck. The quality stuff outsold the Chinese crap at a 10 to 1 clip.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The days of round eyed creativity are long gone...........................if you were in
Asia, you will understand....................

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The days of round eyed creativity are long gone...........................if you were in
Asia, you will understand....................

I was in Japan.

It is only over here because we have taught dependence rather than independence in schools. We have taught kids that they are entitled to everything instead of teaching them that they are required to EARN everything. We build their "self-esteem" rather than challenging them to build confidence.