It's a Team's Life Bass Pro Shop – Memphis, TN

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
I first saw the Pyramid in Memphis seventeen years ago when we were in the first truck and the structure fascinated me.

Why is there a 32-story glass pyramid in downtown Memphis? That is what held my interest and I learned that the Pyramid was built in 1991 and plays on the cities namesake in Egypt knows for the ancient pyramids. The pyramid in Memphis is the tenth tallest in the world and the Luxor Pyramid in Las Vegas is the seventh tallest with the tallest being in Pyongyang, North Korea. The pyramid in North Korea was designed to be a hotel and is still not open.

The Pyramid in Memphis lost its NBA sports team and was closed down and sat empty till Bass Pro Shop leased the location in 2010 and opened the doors to the public in 2015. There is a hotel located in the “Shop”, Big Cypress Lodge that has themed rooms. What I thought was funny is that Bass Pro Shop allows animals inside but the hotel does not.

READ MORE...

Reactions: Greg and Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's pretty interesting to know. I always wondered what was up with that pyramid.
I have a local much smaller scale one by my home. Got me wondering more about it now :D

Reactions: Greg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I haven't been in there since it reopened as a Bass Pro Shops. But I did go there for several concerts. James Taylor, Aerosmith, Dixie Chicks, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John/Billy Joel, Paul Simon/Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, and the first concert I saw there, Jimmy Buffett.

Reactions: RoadTime and Greg

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Turtle I hope you go back and can say how it has changed. I know it has to have changed a lot but I am wondering about walls and how open it is now. It had to have been more closed in for concerts.

The best part is that another straight truck expediter is who told us where to park and stuff to see while in the area.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I do plan to check it out.

It was pretty open for concerts, because it was set up for basketball games with all the seating and stuff. For most of the concerts, they'd block off a quarter to a third of the seats what would be behind the stage, but it was still wide open. The Dixie Chicks was different in that they were in the middle of the floor on a rotating stage and played to the entire arena, same as if there was a basketball game.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was more wondering about the ceiling as it is not really pretty much open all the way to the top. Great glass elevator to be able to see the interior.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Image12.jpg

This is just a shot I found on the Internet, but it shows pretty well what I remember. The ceiling was all lighting rafters, but I don't recall for sure if it was open all the way to the pyramid point. You never got the sense from the inside that it was a pyramid, though. That scoreboard raises up to the ceiling when they don't need it. In the lower left of the picture, where there are two people standing close to each other and then another one a few feet to the left of them (that guy's index finger on the railing is almost pointing at them), it's from that point leftward where the seats would be blocked out and it's where the front of the stage would be for concerts.