Banning "violent" video games for children

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Court weighs state law banning 'violent' video games from children
November 02, 2010|By Bill Mears, CNN Supreme Court Producer

Link: Court weighs state law banning 'violent' video games from children - CNN

"Postal 2" features the adventures of the "Postal Dude," an interactive video game character who, under the control of the player, must confront everyday tasks. But it is how he handles these errands -- with the power to behead girls, shoot police, and urinate on victims -- that along with other explicit games, has become a constitutional controversy.

Now in a dramatic Supreme Court confrontation, free speech clashed with consumer protection over these so-called "violent" video games and whether they should be kept out of the hands of children.

Court weighs state law banning 'violent' video games from children

Share this on:Mixx Facebook Twitter Digg delicious reddit MySpace StumbleUpon LinkedIn November 02, 2010|By Bill Mears, CNN Supreme Court Producer

"Postal 2," here in a screenshot, is part of a debate between free speech and consumer protection at the high court."Postal 2" features the adventures of the "Postal Dude," an interactive video game character who, under the control of the player, must confront everyday tasks. But it is how he handles these errands -- with the power to behead girls, shoot police, and urinate on victims -- that along with other explicit games, has become a constitutional controversy.

Now in a dramatic Supreme Court confrontation, free speech clashed with consumer protection over these so-called "violent" video games and whether they should be kept out of the hands of children.

The justices Tuesday appeared genuinely torn as they heard oral arguments in the appeal of a state law to regulate the sale of such material to minors.

Justice Antonin Scalia wondered whether the state would in effect be creating a "California Office of Censorship" to determine what is violent content.

"It would judge each of these videos one by one. That would be very nice," he said somewhat sarcastically. "Do we let government pass upon a board of censors? I don't think so."

In some games an underage player can "imagine he is a torturer and impose gratuitous, painful, excruciating violence upon small children and women -- and do this for an hour or so," said Justice Stephen Breyer. "Why isn't it common sense to say a state has the right to tell parents -- if you want that for your 13-year-old, you go buy it yourself?"

During the one-hour oral arguments, many on the high court appeared concerned the California law may have gone too far, but others suggested states might have some more narrow regulatory role when it comes to the sale of violent content.

Video game makers said the ban goes too far. They say the existing nationwide industry-imposed, voluntary ratings system is an adequate screen for parents to judge the appropriateness of computer games.

The state says it has a legal obligation to protect children when the industry has failed to do so.

At issue is how far constitutional protections of free speech and expression, as well as due process, can be applied to youngsters. Critics of the content-based restrictions say the government would in effect be engaged in the censorship business, using "community standards" to evaluate artistic and commercial content.

Last edited by a moderator:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Movies are restricted to certain age groups. Why shouldn't video games have the same restrictions? There is nothing here that has to do with free speech. Let the parents go buy the game and sign a waiver saying they know they are buying inappropriate material for a child. No abridgement of free speech there anywhere.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
But those movies can be bought and shown to little kids.

I agree, this is a tough issue regarding the Constitution. But children do not have freedom of speech, press, and expression. The government controls drinking age for children; why not video games? Like I said, it's a tough issue.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have never ever seen a movie restricted by age.

Kids can see R rated movies, some see X rated movies and when parents try to do something right by paying an editor to edit out things, the movie industry jumps up and down over artistic and copy right violations.

Movies can't think and the 'rating' system is another government control that is not needed and is overly dependent on people who just don't care.

The parents need to be parents, if they think that their kids will be exposed to the wrong stuff in life, then they should reconsider having kids in the first place.

I watched an interesting program on Fast Food last night and who are the players in the "fast food is dangerous" push. They droned on and on about how kids are fat, how kids shouldn't eat this or that but not once did they mention the parents and how the parents don't force the kids to be active. One kid was profiled on the program, 250 pounds at 15, just a round ball of mush but they made it out like it wasn't the parents who caused the kid to be like this - when in fact they would stuff his face to shut him up.

Video games are the same thing. It is called the free market, you can't complain about the government and then want them to stop things like this or movies. The parent is the only one who should decide what is good and not good for their kids. If the parents can't make that decision, we need to examine them, not these issues. We don't need them to decide what is or isn't appropriate.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since when were video games, for the most part, considered "political" speech? The Constitution does NOT allow us to say ANYTHING we want when ever we want. The protection of free speech was written to protect POLITICAL speech. We are headed in the opposite directions. Our politicians would LOVE to stifle political speech, like talk radio, and hide the fact by "protecting" the "right" for strippers to express them selves under the "guise" of free speech. And we just keep on falling for it.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Its on the parents to monitor the kids as to what they watch, eat,or play.Its called raising children.
No laws or amount of restrictions are going to stop a kid from playing a video or eating junk food or watching. Especially If I as a parent bring em into the house for my use and dont insure my kids can not get to them.
I'm not saying their isn't nasty and gross games out there,If parents dont front the money to buy this stuff the market will make em go away I'm sure. I know a young teenager can get some money on his or her own but I also believe todays kids for the most part know this is a gaming age and its just that a game and not real life.. The younger ones need to be watched I agree. Maybe some games do need to come off the market and if its not a good game the gamers will dictate this and they will fall off the shelfs.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Since when were video games, for the most part, considered "political" speech?
Has nothing to do with it .....

The Constitution does NOT allow us to say ANYTHING we want when ever we want.
Well .... yes, it does .....

The only restrictions on speech have been placed there by the courts .....

The protection of free speech was written to protect POLITICAL speech.
That may be true - however the document says what it says - and it doesn't say:

"or abridging the freedom of political speech ..."

The Founders were very wise indeed ...

We are headed in the opposite directions. Our politicians would LOVE to stifle political speech, like talk radio, and hide the fact by "protecting" the "right" for strippers to express them selves under the "guise" of free speech. And we just keep on falling for it.
Quite true.