Backing Made Easy

tknight

Veteran Expediter
And why not they lie about fuel mileage why not make a fake trailer to promote their trailer backing system
Lever though!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While watching this video for the first time I thought the pedestrians were professional actors going through their motions backwards. Likewise for the other vehicles, that they were also going backwards and the VW and trailer were going forward. When edited and reversed, the VW and trailer would appear to going backwards and everything else in the shots would look normal. At the end of this video I found out just how wrong I was.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For some reason those kinds of "prank" ads are really popular in Europe. Much more so than in America. There's even a name for it - Prankvertising.

A woman in California sued Toyota over their Aygo prank commercial after she was convinced she was being stalked. Toyota settled that one out of court for millions. Same kind of thing happened to P&G with their bacon flavored mouth wash, and their various "candy flavored" toothpaste for kids that was actually various flavors of vegetables that the kids mostly said tasted like poop. Those kinds of things have, thank goodness, put the brakes on large scale Prankvertising here (or as the Germans call it, Schadenfreude - pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune). It's Alan Funt's Candid Camera gone wrong.

Pepsi tried one where they tried to fake the prank, having Jeff Gordon do donuts in the parking lot and drive like a maniac while test driving a new car. But it was well choreographed stunt driving, the salesman was an actor, and Jeff Gordon wasn't even doing the driving. That one backfired as being "stupid."

Advertisers going for the prank, at least in America, will make the commercials and generally upload them directly to YouTube, hoping it goes viral and gets mentioned on The Today Show or something.