Avoiding toll roads

Kennyday

New Recruit
Researching
Does anyone avoid toll roads on purpose without issue? I'm just starting out and was looking into ways of saving money on the roads.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most of the time the toll roads really are shorter and faster. That's why they were built. So, when time is tight, I'll do the tolls.

Depending on time, of course, and where I'm going, I'll often take US 20 between Toledo and Cleveland instead of the Turnpike. US 20 west of Toledo not as often, but every now and then.

Unless I know it's backed up, I'll usually take the Dan Ryan through downtown Chicago instead of the toll roads. On the other hand, that $5 for the Skyway Bridge in Chicago is worth it at twice the price. :D

One that I almost refuse to do is the toll bridge on I-65 across the Ohio River at Louisville. I'll get off and take that 2nd St bridge nearly every time. It's 2 blocks and about 3 minutes out of the way. $5 for a Sprinter to cross that bridge? Puhleeze. And my carrier pays for tolls. I don't care, five bucks for that is ridiculous.

I usually avoid the tolls in Texas. Most of the time I don't see any benefit in taking the toll roads. During rush hour it's probably worth it.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do go around the I-65 toll into and out of Louisville if it’s not during rush hour.
I do take 20 but only half way out of Cleveland heading West.
Chicago just pay them unless it’s the wee hours on the morning, that place is always a mess.

Reactions: Turtle

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone avoid toll roads on purpose without issue? I'm just starting out and was looking into ways of saving money on the roads.

My 2 cents.
I use google maps, which gives me the option to avoid tolls or not. It will even say “avoid tolls” in a bar above the route given in the directions layout.

I always avoided as many tolls as possible, mostly because it always seemed to circle around and come out of my pocket anyway.

My advice, one day you’re going to be in the northeast, and you’re going to get a load taking you across the Pennsylvania Turnpike that you can’t avoid. Stop in and get a EZ PASS, since the cost of the EZ PASS will be close to the same as the toll anyway. Trust me, it saves so much time for your future, it’s worth the headache of installing and setting up.

I turn on tolls in 2 areas, the Northeast and Chicago. It’s just not worth the time it takes to avoid those tolls.

Avoid the Ohio Turnpike above all! It’s EXPENSIVE, and they’re always working on it, you’re reduced to driving 55 most of the time.

So, in review:
1 get a EZ PASS
2 only turn on toll routes in the Northeast and near Chicago.

Reactions: xmudman

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I try to avoid the PA Turnpike ‘cos it’s so damned expensive, but you’re right: EZ Pass is worth it. The discount can be as much as 35%

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Solar