Average

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Ok I am going to go conspiracy theorist here. It has been my observation that they keep us on an average. Lets say I have a really good week then the very next week I am sucking canal water. Also within the same week if I start the week strong more times then not come wed. or thur. I sit for the rest of the week. Or visa versa I start weak then get strong to the end.

So my question is is that part of there dispatch criteria is to look at the amount of miles for the week so far and also say on an average of the last 2 - 4 weeks?

Then to go even more conspiracy is this why they keep us in the dark as far as seeing where others are and the 3 hour time rule and the lack of being able to see those dispatched on a run? If they have a driver, for instance, 80-100 miles away from a load and this drivers average is down they could send it to them when you may have more down time but your average is higher and you would NEVER know it. You could be 10 miles from a pick up but never know that they gave the run to someone else OR say a team or a fleet driver. As in Eddies post on "where am I" tonight.

If the average thing does play a part I can kinda understand why but when you punish someone because they may know the business better then someone else and puts themselves in a good position and someone else doesn't yet they get the load thats not fair either.

After talking to other van O/O that were with them last year and they have within 50 miles of my average and they have also observed the same as I have with starting strong or weak within a week. One has to start to wonder.

jrj337

Seasoned Expediter
I think your right. I see the same thing.i talked to other drivers they see it to.Glad to know its not only me

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Hence, thats why I'm not in a Sprinter any more, got tired of playing their game. Straight trucks are a little different, not by much, but I do better in a straight truck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
"spreading the wealth"

You have 3 loads for the week....next guy 80 miles away has 1...can make the pick-up...and is a good driver...you will be passed over.

BUT if the driver is too picky or not highly thought of....dispatcher discretion comes into play.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
"spreading the wealth"

You have 3 loads for the week....next guy 80 miles away has 1...can make the pick-up...and is a good driver...you will be passed over.

BUT if the driver is too picky or not highly thought of....dispatcher discretion comes into play.

EXACTLY, but is that really fair? Say driver A has been in the business and knows where the freight is and has learned the ins and outs of this business and driver B has no experience OR has several turn downs its not fair to Driver A. They have put in the time and has done what is expected and ran every run and learned the business.

Now if they would give us a better system and see what the averages are the newbie who wants to work hard can learn at an excelerated rate.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Com'on dudes....you know that is not the way dispatch works....you have to have 120 rot time and get passed over, (yes OVM- whaawhaaa), for someone that has only 3 hours rot....inexsperance dispatchers is what we come up with. Not trained very well. I am about to close down.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
well, I think they let go most of the unexperienced dispatchers, I will go as far and say they did let one go who I thought did very well and kept one they should of gotten rid of long time ago.

If you can guess who those people are, then you know what I mean.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
well, I think they let go most of the unexperienced dispatchers, I will go as far and say they did let one go who I thought did very well and kept one they should of gotten rid of long time ago.

If you can guess who those people are, then you know what I mean.

yep, knowwhatyamean vern...lol
keep the J dump the L

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you really look at who got let go it was mostly the older age gals...most of the young inexperienced have stayed...

flattop40

Expert Expediter
AS a former/present business owner it only makes sense. If you have Employee A that makes $15/hr plus benifits and you have Employee B who makes $12/hr and no benifits. I am letting Employee A go collect money from the state for awhile until business picks back up and hope that Employee A still wants their old job back. And if they don't then they hire a newbie for $9/hr. Its a win win situation for the company.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it a win win? Less experience = more mistakes costing you and I and the company money during the learning curve.

Now say 2 of the younger ones all of a sudden want to take maturnity leave...now E-1 has to pay benefits while they are off and recall 2 of the laid-off ones....whereas the older mature are prolly past child bearing years....

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unemployed pay can be if that employee was terminated for no reason of their own. During one hearing when I was fighting an employee's unemployement, the state guy said " you can't fire someone who is stuipd". I almost busted out, but told him that everytime he made a mistake he was given 1. Warning 2. warning and recurrent training 3. warning and/or recurrent training, termination.
I told him he was not stuipd, as he understood the requirements of the job. Won that one, in fact I only lost one after winning it twice in appeal. State overturn me. Never lost an EEOC case. So, no unemployement was paid, and the company kept the money in their account. That wouldn't be the case if I had Managers or Supervisors that thought like OVM.lol (old ones, young ones, baby comment...etc)

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Well, I believe there are ignorant people and incompentent people. The ignorant people, which are the ones who doesn't know better, which needs more training or have some one explain what ever it is they need to know. The imcompentent people are the ones who make mistakes, even though they know what needs to be done, but don't do it correctly. Its not hard to tell these two type of people apart. But, the stupid people are the ones who has no clue whats going on around them, no experience to speak of, to have someone tell them 30 times where the coffee machine is, etc. Why would someone hire them in the first place. :rolleyes:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, I believe there are ignorant people and incompentent people. The ignorant people, which are the ones who doesn't know better, which needs more training or have some one explain what ever it is they need to know. The imcompentent people are the ones who make mistakes, even though they know what needs to be done, but don't do it correctly. Its not hard to tell these two type of people apart. But, the stupid people are the ones who has no clue whats going on around them, no experience to speak of, to have someone tell them 30 times where the coffee machine is, etc. Why would someone hire them in the first place. :rolleyes:

Think about this, and I know you can cuz you are Mental.......Giant....., no one has ever hired a incompentent, stuipd/igorant people. Like you said- "why would someone hire them in the first place"

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Think about this, and I know you can cuz you are Mental.......Giant....., no one has ever hired a incompentent, stuipd/igorant people. Like you said- "why would someone hire them in the first place"

I have asked that myself that every time I ran across people who I have worked with in the past. :rolleyes:

P.S. Just so there is no misunderstanding. I didn't run over them with my car and anything like that. :) Even though sometimes felt I like it.

Last edited: