Average cost of operations with FedEx

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me an average of all costs involved with FedEx CC, including the average truck payment for a surface truck vs White glove truck? What would you say the average mileage per week is as well?

Thanks so much

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me an average of all costs involved with FedEx CC, including the average truck payment for a surface truck vs White glove truck?
Wow, this is a very broad question. I believe FedEx CC like most expedite carriers requires a truck 5 years old or newer, with exceptions. That narrows things down to 2011 trucks to 2016 trucks. There is also a variety of truck manufacturers, Hino to Western Star, with a wide spread in prices.

Then there's surface vs. white glove. Huge price difference between how the two are equipped; lift gate, reefer etc. Team vs. solo? You need to do some research on your own and then ask some specific questions.

What would you say the average mileage per week is as well?
Thanks so much
I have no idea.

Last edited:

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks for the reply. I am certainly doing deep research, just figure I would start out with open ended questions here so that I can really narrow down my specific questions. Questions such as:

What is the average price for fuel.
What is the average cost of insurance for a D model truck.
What is the average truck payment monthly for a D model truck.
What are the average weekly miles for a D model truck at FedEx.

plus many more.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the reply. I am certainly doing deep research, just figure I would start out with open ended questions here so that I can really narrow down my specific questions. Questions such as:

What is the average price for fuel.
This question is easy: Retail Prices for Diesel (On-Highway) - All Types
What are the average weekly miles for a D model truck at FedEx.
Call FedEx, talk to a recruiter and then subtract about 25%. Be sure your inquiry mentions loaded miles.

What is the average cost of insurance for a D model truck.
What is the average truck payment monthly for a D model truck.

You still don't get. My turn to ask you two questions that may make you think about your questions.

What is the average cost for insurance for an SUV?
What is the average cost for an SUV?

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
Moot
Hey man, I'm a newbie here haha. I get your point though. I am just trying to really learn the business side of things best I can. I am getting ready to start driving for a fleet owner so hopefully that will answer most of my questions. Thanks for the help though.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Driving for a fleet owner is a great way to break into this business. Keep track of all truck expenses like fuel, maintenance etc. as if you owned the truck. This will give some real numbers to work with when deciding to buy your own truck.

Continue to do research during your down time. You use the term "D model" truck. The designation "D" is used in the expedite industry and can vary somewhat with different carriers. It is a measure of maximum freight capacity, i.e. length and weight. You should also go online and look up the differences between a Class 7 truck and a Class 8 truck. That alone should help you understand why nobody here has given you an average price for a truck.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
With Fed-Ex you need Worker Comp or Equivalent. Your truck needs a DOT inspection 2 a year.