Augusta National Golf Club allows first female members

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Augusta National Golf Club will have women members for the first time in its 80-year history.

The host course of the Masters had been under criticism for many years for not allowing females to join.

Former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and South Carolina financier Darla Moore will become the first women in green jackets when the new season starts in October.

"This is a joyous occasion," Augusta National chairman Billy Payne said.

"We enthusiastically welcome Secretary Condoleezza Rice and Darla Moore as members of Augusta National Golf Club.

"These accomplished women share our passion for the game of golf and both are well known and respected by our membership."

The announcement comes after activist Martha Burk put pressure on the club to admit women in 2002.

However, then chairman Hootie Johnson responded that they would not be forced to change its policies "at the point of a bayonet".

Payne replaced Johnson in 2006 but at the time ruled out the possibility of women becoming members in the near future.

However, the current chairman believes this is a positive move by the club.

He said: "This is a significant and positive time in our club's history and, on behalf of our membership, I wanted to take this opportunity to welcome them and all of our new members into the Augusta National family."

Rice was the national security adviser under former President George W Bush and then became Secretary of State.

The 57-year-old is currently a professor of political economy at Stanford's Graduate School of Business.

"I am delighted and honoured to be a member of Augusta National Golf Club," she said.

"I have visited Augusta National on several occasions and look forward to playing golf, renewing friendships and forming new ones through this very special opportunity."

BBC Sport - Augusta National Golf Club allows first female members

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will sleep SO much better tonight knowing such mind bending news. They must be REALLY bored at the BBC! LOL!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL, I was expecting a ..."there goes the neighbourhood" type comment LOL

I don't care if they let roaches in. It has ZERO bearing on my life, other than bad. I would close down EVERY golf course if I had my way. They do TERRIBLE damage to the environment. All that destroyed habitat, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, not to mention the fumes from all that unneeded mowing. NASTY places.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I don't care if they let roaches in. It has ZERO bearing on my life, other than bad. I would close down EVERY golf course if I had my way. They do TERRIBLE damage to the environment. All that destroyed habitat, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, not to mention the fumes from all that unneeded mowing. NASTY places.

LOL .... oh dear ...

Well I think it is a pretty important piece of news ..... how long ago was the suffragette movement :rolleyes: LOL

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL .... oh dear ...

Well I think it is a pretty important piece of news ..... how long ago was the suffragette movement :rolleyes: LOL

On a scale of 1 to 10 of importance to the world it ranks a -3. What it boils down to is who cares what rich golfers do at their club. It is, after all, a PRIVATE CLUB! They can do whatever they like. Makes no difference to the price of diesel.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Question is : will the 5 club still be the club of choice to beat a cheating spouse ?...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On a scale of 1 to 10 of importance to the world it ranks a -3. What it boils down to is who cares what rich golfers do at their club. It is, after all, a PRIVATE CLUB! They can do whatever they like. Makes no difference to the price of diesel.

You cared enough to post three (3) times in this thread. Is your load almost ready?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You cared enough to post three (3) times in this thread. Is your load almost ready?

Just giving EnglishLady a hard time! LOL!! My load is not ready until tomorrow so I can bother you for a VERY long time! :p It is good to have a purpose in life! When there is no OVM around to bother I can bother scottm4211! SOMETIMES even both at the same time! :D

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

kinda like all those industrial complexs that have provided you a living for years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where's that dislike button ..... :p

facebook_dislike_button2.jpg