Attn: Recruiters,Drivers,and Owners - Need Advice

Rocket

Expert Expediter
Wondering if any of you folks can help me out...point me in the right direction?
I am an experienced Tractor Trailer driver from Northern Indiana.
Have over 10 years experience in the last 15 years.
Was driving up until April of 2001 when I received a dui off duty in my own personal vehicle.
Of course this puts an immediate halt to the driving career.
CDL was reinstated back in July of that year but could not find a company that would hire me....due to insurance reasons.
After hearing this dozens of times,I gave up altogether searching for another driving career.
I had to make a career change and it was rough.
I finally settled in the Mortgage Business and have been for the past 3.5 yrs.
I'm getting the itch again to drive,maybe cargo van,staight truck, or tractor trailer.
Haven't decided yet.
Would possibly be interested in becoming an Owner Operator
if I could get the financing and the terms were acceptable.

Challenges:

DUI 3.5 yrs ago
Canadian Border crossing priveleges
(Something about Canada requiring a "rehabilitation" permission to enter Canada)
No driving experience in those 3.5 yrs

Questions:

What companies would hire me as a driver or contractor under these challenges?

Is there anything I can do to help myself?

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

P.S. Great Site!!!

raceman

Veteran Expediter
RE: Attn: Recruiters,Drivers,and Owners - Need Adv

The folks I know will not take you with a DUI in the last 10 years. Seems to me I have heard that there are some big companies in the business, expediting, that may talk to you at 3.5 years. I don't want to throw out names but they advertise on this site and they are the big players in this business. There are four or five of them. I do not know this to be fact but I would guess they have more options due to the fact they handle the insurance internally. That is all I have to offer. Sorry it is not more.raceman

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter

Rocket:

Raceman gave some good advice as he always does. I too am unaware of any company that could take you on. It must be a painful experience for you, not being able to do what you enjoy. I wish I could offer you a resolution to your problem.

This should be a lesson for all those driving for a living. Don't dump in your Cheerio's... it will leave you without the ability to continue your carreer!

"Most of us learn from our own experiences... the truly intelligent learn from the experiences of others!" tr2

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter

You won't know until you try. Start calling them all and ask for safety first, so as not to waste recruiters time. Just a thought. I worked in a safety dept years ago, and 5 clean years was the rule then. Unfortunately with no recent experience you don't qualify for tractor/trailers. Trucking school may help requalify for straight truck. No prior training needed for Van Qualification. That probably is not what you are looking for?

raceman

Veteran Expediter

Rocket, Scott at Express1 tried to respond to your email. He had written a very long note with what he described as some useful info for you but when he sent it to you, it returned to him with Fatal Error. He said you did not provide yopur phone neumber and he did not know how to get you. I know him and he is not a big email guy and he is very busy, or at least he says he is, I know he will at least give you his guidence, so you may want to give him another shot. I have some info for you as well so if you want to drop me a note , I too will tell you what I know. Hope it all works out.

---Why hug a tree when you can sit on a diesel---

raceman

Twmaster

Expert Expediter

I just was struck by a thought. There is another thread about how we should be looking out for each other and I could not help but think that this thread is a fine example of exactly that notion.

My hat is off to Tom and Raceman (everyone else too) for their efforts to help.

I love this place.

:)

--
Mike N:

Rocket

Expert Expediter

Raceman,

I just wanted to thank you,Tom,Glen,and Twmaster,for all the advice.
I would definitely like to hear "what you all know"!
I'll send you a note with contact info.
I would also like to read the reply from Scott at Express-1.

The comment from Tom about "dumping" where you eat is absolutely
correct.It should be a lesson and not taken lightly for all of us who drive/drove for a living. Even though at the time I "felt ok" to drive;I knew I was taking a risk. No, I wasn't smashed by anymeans but according to the law, IT JUST DOESNT MATTER. I've learned my lesson the hard way and I hope and pray that no one else has to learn from the school of hard knocks!

Remember,Just like the law says
"driving is a privelege and not a right".

Thanks,
Rocket
:)

raceman

Veteran Expediter

Rocket, the past is the past and you can do nothing about it but if your POST stops one other person, and it will, from doing the same thing, you have helped someone with your mistake and that really is a good thing. Just keep at it and I have my ears open too, it will work out for you. Keep your head up, think positive and time will fix this for you. I will pass on anything I hear.

---Why hug a tree when you can sit on a diesel---

raceman

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter

Just an added note, If you have a CDL a dui is .04 not .08 even if it is in your personal vehicle.

Best of Luck,
Fr8 Shaker