Attention Solo Drivers

criticalmass

Seasoned Expediter
I currently work for a contractor leased onto Fed Ex CC that is selling his truck and getting out of being an O/O. He has offered to sell me the truck for $45,000. It is a '05 M2 class Freightliner with 476,000 miles on it. I have been in the truck for 1 year as the co-driver and it has been getting regular scheduled maintenance. I would like to stay working for Fed Ex CC as a contractor. My question is...Should I buy the truck or become a co-driver for someone else within the Fed Ex CC IC and O/O? I know the pro's and con's of being an O/O from discussing the business with my current O/O. Our household expenses are about $3,500 a month. My wifes income is about $2,200 a month. The estimated truck payment could be $900 a month. I have talked to a couple of solo O/O and they have said that I could make $90,000 a year after expenses. I do not know if what they quoted was the meat or the stuffing
icon5.gif
icon6.gif
. I know everyones situations are as diverse as there are grains of sand on the beach but, I am seeking advise so that I can make an informed decision. Please send replies to me as a private message.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm going to post here so anyone interested can read it rather than PM. Based on input I receive it seems FedEx is primarily a team oriented operation. All carriers seem to do better with teams since there aren't HOS/mileage limitations on runs. That said, some seem less solo friendly than others and this seems to be one of them. That doesn't mean they don't treat solos well, they do, but it means fewer load opportunities. Based on their own published figures for solo run count and mileage I don't see how a solo can expect $90k after expenses. That sounds more like the pie than the meal.

criticalmass

Seasoned Expediter
I'm going to post here so anyone interested can read it rather than PM. Based on input I receive it seems FedEx is primarily a team oriented operation.

I understand that you would have a better opportunity as a team operation. I am just asking for advise on solo strategies for operating the truck until I can put a co-driver in the truck and be a team. Then on the other hand should I buy the truck at all or solicit other O/O to become their co-driver.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First let me apologize for jumping into your FedEx forum. I didn't see this was not in the main area. Since I already jumped I'll just add that if you do plan to go team I believe you can reasonably expect to do $90k after expenses, with a good teammate and good percentages. If you plan to remain solo for a long time you may want to explore additional carriers. Hopefully some FedEx solos will respond. Good luck and I'll go back to my area now.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
i would have my wife become my co-driver,put the whole pie in your house,think you would do very well,but if your going to remain soloi would go work for someone else as their co-driver

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Just my opinion but you are looking at a truck with a lot of miles, depending on the type of engine you might be looking at a major overhaul in the not too distant future. You did not say what kind of engine but if it is one of the class 7 engines you could be looking at an overhaul in as little as 500,000 miles.
And as I said before this is just my opinion. You might get lucky and get 1,000,000 miles with no problems but I always feel better if I have considered the worse case scenario.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
criticalmass you know the truck better than most as you have been in it long enough and you know how well it has been maintained. You are not in the best area of the country for a solo or to even to find a co driver. You are though in a pretty good area for air freight and interstate loads. I would suggest you do a lot of talking to a recruiter to see how solo's do in that area or the possibility of getting a team member. Keep FedEx Custom Critical in the loop and I think you will get good bases to decide your future.