Attention Hino Owners

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I have a 2008 Hino 338 with 134000 miles on it. I am on home time at the moment. On my way home the check engine light came on (again). I went to the local dealer, they pulled the codes. Injecters again. This will be the 4th set. Here is the GOOD news. There is a testing engineer from Hino Japan touring with regional Reps for 5 months and testing trucks. Yesterday they tested mine. Took about 3.5 hours. First he does a visual, then hooks up his computer to the truck. He can see some interesting stuff. Then they run a cleaning solution through the fuel system for an hour all the while monitoring. The end result, the #3 injecter was bad. What they are doing. Replacing both fuel tanks with the aluminum ones, all the fuel lines and fittings, injecters, limiter and the steel pipes. Total PM with all new filters including Air Drier, rear end, Tranny etc. Total cost of parts alone is over $12000.00. Everything being overnighted including tanks. My opiniun, better than expected customer service. The BAD news... the injecters will need to be replaced again when the new recall injectors are available. Between now and October. Apparrently, the 08's and up that use UTLS are the problem childs. SO, if you have a Hino with injector problems, call Hino corp at 248-699-9300. Ask for Steve the service manager and explain your problem. Hino is aware of the problem and working to correct it. While I am not pleased that the injectors will need to be replaced again, I am thouroughly please with the customer service, especially Richard, my area rep.

Reactions: Sutton

greg334

Veteran Expediter
twelve k with 138,000 on the clock?

I would think Hino should have eaten the cost, every dime of it with the rep being right there.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Glad I have a 2007 and it's been trouble free :rolleyes:
Mine has 205K on it and last year they spent 10K on repairs:eek:

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Of course. It seemed pretty obvious as they have excellent customer service throughout all of their companies.

USLD is culprit...not the manufacturer.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Have to go with highway of this one. All the other engine manufactures seem to have been able to cope with ulsd. If i had to guess i would say toyota approved "not knowingly" the use of low quality fuel tanks and fuel lines. And the tanks and lines are causing the problems, as in they are degrading from the inside. Just my .02

Last edited:

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Have to go with highway of this one. All the other engine manufactures seem to have been able to cope with ulsd. If i had to guess i would say toyota approved "not knowingly" the use of low quality fuel tanks and fuel lines. And the tanks and lines are causing the problems, as in they are degrading from the inside. Just my .02

I cannot believe you guys are talking about a recall that was the middle of last year. Guess you guys are out of touch or are speaking about what you know not. Seriously, is this more Hino truck bashing again?

60MPH

Expert Expediter
lugnut I do not own a Hino what was the recall I have not seen it posted on this site. What I stated earlier was a guess and I said it was a guess which means I maybe wrong. With that said why are they replacing his tanks and lines??? Please enlighten us on the recall and why you think they are replacing the tanks, lines and other fuel delivery devices on this truck.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Another ??? why do you think when someone makes a negative comment about a Hino you think they are bashing it?? The only thing I would say negative about a Hino is not enough power "which is a personal preference" and the resale is ungodly low. Thats really not bashing it.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your help with the recall info you are sure a big help for all the hino owners on here.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Yh'a , no recall as of yet...
i called Hino every quarter to see if there is any pending recall (they actually have another name for it ,can't recall(!)that word right now) last checked was 2 month ago , sure will be nice getting a free new tanks tho'w .
140K+ ,...no real Hino Issues to be reported .
BTW , those Hino's come to the long beach port inside a container , no frame ,no axles , no fuel tanks , just the powerbox and cab.
if there is any issue with them tanks , it is that they chosen the wrong American made tanks to be installed , looks like all the newones comes with the alloy ones .

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the info moose. I figured that toyo did not knowingly buy cheap quality tanks. They do not run there business that way. So no recall yet?? Seems that lugnut knows all about the recall from last year. He just does not want to share is info on here about it.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info moose. I figured that toyo did not knowingly buy cheap quality tanks. They do not run there business that way. So no recall yet?? Seems that lugnut knows all about the recall from last year. He just does not want to share is info on here about it.

They just build cars that speed up and you can't stop :rolleyes::eek: