Atkins diet and being on the road.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I thought I´d start a new thread about this topic, and give you my firsthand experience. Tony, consider this as a reply to your previous post. First, let me say that the Atkins diet has been around a long time.It used to be called "The drinking man´s diet", because it allowed you to drink red wine.(very low carbohydrate content). I personally have used this diet all my adult life with great success. At it´s core, it is nothing more than a high protein, low carb diet. The theory is that your body cannot store carbohydrates that you need for energy, but can store fat, to be used for energy at a later date. Therefore, if you limit your carbohydrate intake,(eating less carbs than you need for your body´s energy demands) your body has to burn the accumlated fat stores, and thus you lose weight. The first part of the diet tells you to get to as close to zero carbs as you can for the first two weeks to change the body´s metabolism, and then to limit that intake to no more than 20 grams a day thereafter, until you get down to your desired weight. Then go on the maintenance diet where you can eat what you like in moderation, just keeping an eye on your weight, and going back to the diet if you gain 2-5 lbs.YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK TO YOUR OLD EATING HABITS!! EVER!!, OR YOU WILL GAIN IT ALL BACK AND THEN SOME! But, when you achieve your desired weight, you can enjoy all your favorite foods. In the many times I have used the diet, I lost about 10-12 lbs. a month consistently, with less monthly loss as I got closer to my goal. I went back to my "fat weight" several times, because I didn´t change my habits, but over the last 3 years I finally got it through my head that I had to change , and the diet is working like it should. I weighed a high of 210 lbs. when I should weigh around 175 lbs. where I am now. It took me 4 months to get it off. My basic diet is eggs, melted cheese, sausage or ham for breakfast (no bread, as refined flour is a killer, and you should never eat bread while losing). I eat my big meal around 3 o´clock, and usually it´s a large chef salad, loaded with cheese, meat and some type of low carb dressing (bleu cheese). In between meal snacks are cheese (white, hard cheeses are the best...any kind, cheddar, mozzeralla etc.)and a weenie, or a meat snack. Bottom line is that I never am really hungry on the diet, as all the foods I can eat are filling.Yes, I miss sweets, but I drink diet drinks to "curb that urge", and my wife makes a mean pudding with cream cheese and artificial sweetner, and diet jello. Also there are the Atkins products, that are low carb, to help you in that area. All the cravings get less and less as your body adjusts. If you combine physical excercise with the diet, you´ll lose even faster.I hope it works for those of you that use it, as well as it works for me. And one more note, READ THE LABELS ON FOODS, SUGAR IN ANY FORM IS A NO-NO.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks Louie!!! I have been reading a lot about this and am going to do it no matter what it takes. My only set back for the moment is a daily menu of what I will be eating. I may just call a dietician to make one up for me. Once I get that in order, I can go grocery shopping and WA-LA!!! Loose the unwanted LBS.!!!! According to my doctor I’m about 80-lbs over weight. Hell!!! I will even save about 30bucks a month on my health insurance once I knock off the extra LBS.!!!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Hey Tony, Is that a typo?? No way are you 80lbs. over. Unless you've gained about 60lbs since the expo! What's the story here?

Just Killin' Time!!
DD

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Didn't gain any!!! Not a typo neither!!! Doc said for my Stature (Definition #2 Height HA-HA-HA) I need to be 75 to 80 lbs less than I am. Also I just recently switched to a new health insurance provider, and when they quoted me the rate it was about $30 less than the actual cost of what I pay. When I questioned them about it they told me it was because of my weight. Now a-days in America you have to pay to be fat!!! I told those A-Holes I was healthier then any ten of them, but O-Well, still had to pay for being over what the charts read.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A follow up:
I think I´m pretty much average in my rate of weight loss on this diet. The hard part is sticking to it, at the family functions, parties, and special occasions. On the road, it´s easy. of course it gets boring at times, but yu have to hang in there. You just have to stick to meat, cheese, fish, and stay away from, fruit, veggies and breads,nuts, and junk food. In the truck stops, I take the buffet, and go for the dishes I can eat (I don´t pig out, but eat til I feel full, or I make my own salad at the salad bar, and load it up with cheese, and a cheese or ranch dressing. I´ve tried all the diets, and this one works for me, becuase I don´t feel hungry.With other diets I failed miserably, because i was always starving. I go to the deli and get cheeses to keep in the truck, pork rind, beef jerky etc. for snacks. Drinks are diet soda, and the fruit flavored diet things, you can buy in any supermarket. Even at McDonalds, it´s triple cheeseburgers and take off the bread and most of the catchup/mustard. I never give up coffee, just try to limit it to around 3 large cups a day. I also drink as much water as possible. I have known many people, who have used this diet, and I mean MANY, over the years...family and friends, who have had great success on this diet, so it´s not hearsay when I listen to thier personal results. One friend of mine started in January, this year, 2003, and I just heard from him the other day. He´s down 95 lbs. He is 5´ 8", and was up to 290 lbs. I saw him recently, and he looked great. His outward attitude was even different. The other benefits of losing for me, is that all my numbers came down, cholosterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, etc., and I really do feel better. More energy, and no more huffing and puffing, walking up one flight of stairs. Not to mention the mental lift of looking at myself in the clothes I LIKE to wear, other than the clothes I HAVE TO wear, because they are the only clothes I could get into_One thing to keep in mind, is that this diet is a natural diuretic, so there will be nights when you will think your whizzing more than sleeping. That´s good, because that´s all that grease leaving your body. So good luck to all those that give it a try! I hope you reach your goal!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
And with all that work, you'll grow to be an ANIMAL like me:7 :7 :7 :7 :7
-Weave-
By the way.. Charles Atkins is dead. I consumed all his complex carbohydrates:D

letsroll

Veteran Expediter
Hey Lou, thanks for your post. I also am in need of a good diet and often feel hungry after a diet meal. I need to loose (believe it or not) about as much as your friend has lost. So I'll put the slim fast cans aside and try atkins.

THANKS DAVE

"expect the UN-expected"

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
I went on this about two years ago and dropped 40 lbs, real easy and never hungry. I have kept 90% of it off and have almost lost my taste for potato's of any kind except McDonalds French Fries. It's not the fat it's the Carb's.
For example you can have one can of regular Coke or 11.8 cans of Miller Lite and get the same carbs I chose the beer:7