AT&T in $48.5bn deal to buy DirecTV

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
BBC News - US telecoms firm AT&T in $48.5bn deal to buy DirecTV

US telecommunications firm AT&T is set to acquire satellite television provider DirecTV in a cash and shares deal valued at $48.5bn (£29bn).

If approved, the deal gives AT&T access to DirecTV's 40 million digital TV customers in the US and Latin America.
The deal would also give AT&T a new source of revenue beyond its traditional telecommunications business.
The board of directors at both companies have approved the merger.

But the deal is subject to approval by DirecTV shareholders, and needs to be reviewed by US regulators, including the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice.
Both companies are hopeful the transaction will be completed in about 12 months.
AT&T chairman and chief executive Randall Stephenson said in a statement: "This is a unique opportunity that will redefine the video entertainment industry and create a company able to offer new bundles and deliver content to consumers across multiple screens - mobile devices, TVs, laptops, cars and even airplanes."

DirecTV is a leading pay TV provider in the US and Latin America. Meanwhile AT&T is a telecommunications provider and it boasts of a nationwide mobile network and a high-speed broadband network, which the company says will cover 70 million customer locations, with the broadband expansion enabled by this transaction.

DirecTV's premier content includes exclusive pay TV rights to 'NFL Sunday Ticket' which gives subscribers access to every American football game played on Sunday afternoons, which they can view on TV, laptops and mobile devices.
Under the terms of the merger, DirecTV shareholders will receive $95 per share, comprising $28.50 per share in cash and $66.50 per share in AT&T stock.

AT&T intends to finance the cash portion of the transaction through a combination of cash on hand, sales of assets and loans.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not sure it is good for the consumer, but will make them more competitive against Comcast. We dumped Comcast in TN and went to U-verse. Much better at basically everything and about half the price. We have Brighthouse in Florida and it is marginal at best. Will switch to U-verse there when they come in. Right now they only have phone and internet. No TV.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not sure it is good for the consumer, but will make them more competitive against Comcast. We dumped Comcast in TN and went to U-verse. Much better at basically everything and about half the price. We have Brighthouse in Florida and it is marginal at best. Will switch to U-verse there when they come in. Right now they only have phone and internet. No TV.
U-Verse sucks. Always losing the signal and have to reboot the system at least 3 times in 2 weeks. We are considering switching back to cable.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Might be where you are at? Haven't had any problems. Did have to do a reboot of the modem once after a storm but that was it. You can go online and do a test on your system to see if it is having issues. Haven't had to use it yet.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
U-Verse seems to be really good, or really bad, nothing in between. It just depends on where you are.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
The biggest grip that I had instslling DirecTV was that darn phone line. If a cudtoner had a cell phone and no internet, we were threstened to loose routing due to ther reciever call back "matrix". The reciever communicates with directv to update itself. Most installers think this is a ploy to make it easier to push pay per view.

Personally, we had DirrcTV since 2005 and we like it. Of course I instslled it myself and tweeked the dish for the best reception.

Glad Im out of that gig.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We have uverse at home and I HATE it. We constantly have issues with internet and cable service.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
For tv only DirecTv is great, but satellite internet has a hidden usage charge when you exceed the bandwidth, monthly usage limit. For email and limited surfing Satellite internet is ok, but for utube and netflix, you would save alot with a non satellite internet system.

To use you home directv systrm on the road, all you need to do is install the costly omi directional directv antenna. All you need is a reciever from the house to watch tv like you are at home....dont worry, I no longer sell directv and can answer questions.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One thing to mention with U-verse. Make sure you have their new equipment, especially the modem. You know you have the old version if you have a large box for the backup battery.
We have new out of the box equipment and so far, seems pretty flawless. Think Turtle is right, it may depend on equipment and location as to how good it is. We also have the new fiber optic cable so maybe that makes a difference?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One thing to mention with U-verse. Make sure you have their new equipment, especially the modem. You know you have the old version if you have a large box for the backup battery.
We have new out of the box equipment and so far, seems pretty flawless. Think Turtle is right, it may depend on equipment and location as to how good it is. We also have the new fiber optic cable so maybe that makes a difference?

I frequent DSLReports Home (Broadband ISP Reviews News Tools and Forums) and a few other places, which makes it easier to keep tabs on the good and bad of the various broadband services, legislative efforts going on, lots of things.

At the house (and in the Sprinter) I have Dish Network, and have TimeWarner RoadRunner for Internet.