Asian carp dna found in lake erie

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope the EPA actualy dose somthing usefull and controlls this. NOT! At least theyre edible and make a good sport fish from what I read so far.

Ofcorse the Zebra mussle that is an invasive species from Russia that raises heck with docks, boats, and anything in the water has been shown to reduce polutants in water especialy in lake Ontario over the past 15-20 years. Although Ive seen the manufacturing jobs leave in that time too. I dont see the blessing with an invasive fish though.

Bob Wolf

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I hope the EPA actualy dose somthing usefull and controlls this. NOT! At least theyre edible and make a good sport fish from what I read so far.

Ofcorse the Zebra mussle that is an invasive species from Russia that raises heck with docks, boats, and anything in the water has been shown to reduce polutants in water especialy in lake Ontario over the past 15-20 years. Although Ive seen the manufacturing jobs leave in that time too. I dont see the blessing with an invasive fish though.

Bob Wolf

Don't forget how much serious damage that zebra mussels do to the very lowest and most important part of the food chain. Don't forget the multi-millions of dollars of damage to power plants etc. There is no value to be found in zebra mussels, nor in this carp.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Don't forget how much serious damage that zebra mussels do to the very lowest and most important part of the food chain. Don't forget the multi-millions of dollars of damage to power plants etc. There is no value to be found in zebra mussels, nor in this carp.

Well there has to be some value on the carp,,I wonder how much has been spent or what is it costing dollar wise just to study this and who will profit, when a few hundred dollars worth of dirt to plug up the acess would have prevented it to begin with.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I have a friend who went on a recent fishing trip to Michigan. He was from Kentucky and was required to bleach his boat before being allowed to dock in a MI lake. I think this will be commonplace with all these foreign invaders. :mad:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a friend who went on a recent fishing trip to Michigan. He was from Kentucky and was required to bleach his boat before being allowed to dock in a MI lake. I think this will be commonplace with all these foreign invaders. :mad:

you mean people from Kentucky?....LOL

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

Do you mean launch his boat? (Im thinking by the time he docks it it is to late) :)
I havnt heard this was going on and not sure how they are inforcing this.
Maybe before they issue some sort of permit for Michigan waters, you have to prove boat was washed and flushed???

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This happens in some enviromentally sensitive areas probably more the you realize..it is nothing new really...just new for Michigan...
The common person is pretty stupid about this IMO....they'll take their boat with their live wells with water sloshing around the bottom, not completely empty and sanitized from lake to lake....

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
This happens in some enviromentally sensitive areas probably more the you realize..it is nothing new really...just new for Michigan...
The common person is pretty stupid about this IMO....they'll take their boat with their live wells with water sloshing around the bottom, not completely empty and sanitized from lake to lake....
Right, Most do that and I'm sure some don't.
What I was wondering is Michigan now requiring proof the boat from out of state was cleaned?

Ive never taken a boat from state to state and was thinking before ya buy a day pass or what ever,,Do you have to prove this now?

Now keep in mind this does nothing to prevent a bird from bringing in invasive species and plants. Its not always the boaters fault.:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right, Most do that and I'm sure some don't.
What I was wondering is Michigan now requiring proof the boat from out of state was cleaned?

Ive never taken a boat from state to state and was thinking before ya buy a day pass or what ever,,Do you have to prove this now?

Now keep in mind this does nothing to prevent a bird from bringing in invasive species and plants. Its not always the boaters fault.:)

That is what they don't know by the article....just because the DNA is showing up does not mean the carp are here....it could be bird poop, plants....can't see the DNR or parks inspecting everyones boat....or watercraft.....how many times have we been inspected for our firewood?...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is what they don't know by the article....just because the DNA is showing up does not mean the carp are here....it could be bird poop, plants....can't see the DNR or parks inspecting everyones boat....or watercraft.....how many times have we been inspected for our firewood?...

YES they are going to start inspecting boats, as well they should. We MUST do all we can to stop that carp. It only takes a second to clean your boat when you pull it out. Just spray it off at a car wash. $3 to keep the lakes in good shape is worth the effort. If people think that is too much effort we don't want them on the Great Lakes. They are likely too STUPID to run out there safely any way!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
YES they are going to start inspecting boats, as well they should. We MUST do all we can to stop that carp. It only takes a second to clean your boat when you pull it out. Just spray it off at a car wash. $3 to keep the lakes in good shape is worth the effort. If people think that is too much effort we don't want them on the Great Lakes. They are likely too STUPID to run out there safely any way!

unfortunately...it only takes one to get thru.....one boat that is...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
come to think of it....never seen anyone stopped for a firewood inspection either....heard anything Joe?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
unfortunately...it only takes one to get thru.....one boat that is...

Well, then shoot the sorry S.O.B. that brings it in, AFTER he/she/it pays to remove them! The BILLIONS it would take to fix it. Sorry no good suck duckers! :mad: About as useful as the scum bags in Arizona that want to drain the Great Lakes so they can continue to water golf courses, dead people and live is a desert. Stupid is as stupid does.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
come to think of it....never seen anyone stopped for a firewood inspection either....heard anything Joe?

From carp to firewood..At least we are talking invasive species here.:)

Never seen anyone stopped but a quick google will show lots of fines being issued. Seems each state or area has its own set of fines.. Below I think is from Ann Arbor Mich.. Could be a hefty fine.

The Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is one pest that has had a devastating impact on Michigan’s forests. Michigan state law now prohibits the transport of firewood from the Lower Peninsula to the Upper Peninsula, and movement between other quarantine areas in the UP (Michigan EAB Quarantine map – pdf). Individuals and businesses caught violating the state’s EAB quarantine are subject to fines ($1,000-$250,000) and jail time (up to five years). The EAB Federal Quarantine prohibits the interstate (between state) movement of hardwood firewood. Fines for violating the quarantine begin at $250,000. For more information about the Federal Quarantine, call the United States Department of Agriculture’s Emerald Ash Borer hotline at 1-866-322-4512.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
From carp to firewood..At least we are talking invasive species here.:)

Never seen anyone stopped but a quick google will show lots of fines being issued. Seems each state or area has its own set of fines.. Below I think is from Ann Arbor Mich.. Could be a hefty fine.

The Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is one pest that has had a devastating impact on Michigan’s forests. Michigan state law now prohibits the transport of firewood from the Lower Peninsula to the Upper Peninsula, and movement between other quarantine areas in the UP (Michigan EAB Quarantine map – pdf). Individuals and businesses caught violating the state’s EAB quarantine are subject to fines ($1,000-$250,000) and jail time (up to five years). The EAB Federal Quarantine prohibits the interstate (between state) movement of hardwood firewood. Fines for violating the quarantine begin at $250,000. For more information about the Federal Quarantine, call the United States Department of Agriculture’s Emerald Ash Borer hotline at 1-866-322-4512.

Holy crap....$250,000??......

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
60 Minutes did a piece last week on the Asian Carp invasion. They found traces of Asian Carp DNA on a bedspread in a Red Roof Inn motel room in Rockfish, Illinois.