Arizona governor vs. Phoenix Suns owner

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I love this response.

The owner of the Phoenix Suns basketball team, Robert Sarver, opposes AZ's new immigration laws. Arizona's Governor, Jan Brewer, released the following statement in response to Sarver's criticism of the new law:

"What if the owners of the Suns discovered that hordes of people were sneaking into games without paying? What if they had a good idea who the gate-crashers are, but the ushers and security personnel were not allowed to ask these folks to produce their ticket stubs, thus non-paying attendees couldn't be ejected. Furthermore, what if Suns' ownership was expected to provide those who sneaked in with complimentary eats and drink? And what if, on those days when a gate-crasher became ill or injured, the Suns had to provide free medical care and shelter?" -Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's pretty amusing [in a scary way] to read the rationales put forth by those who object to the immigration laws being enforced, isn't it?
Bottom line: are we a nation of laws, or hypocrites?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's pretty amusing [in a scary way] to read the rationales put forth by those who object to the immigration laws being enforced, isn't it?
Bottom line: are we a nation of laws, or hypocrites?

At the federal level, hypocrites. At least on this issue. It has been very apparent for a very long time that our feds have no intention of protecting our borders.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sarver is an idiot. I hope no decent American attends another Suns game and he goes broke. BOYCOTT PHOENIX SUNS.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sarver is an idiot. I hope no decent American attends another Suns game and he goes broke. BOYCOTT PHOENIX SUNS.

He is not going to go broke from people boycotting the Suns. What that would do is layoff average everyday people who work the concessions, as ticket takers, sell souvenirs work at restaurants, motels, etc.. Boycotts hurt the little guy way faster than they hurt the money people and are driven by emotion much more than reality.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If enough folks expressed outrage at Sarver, he could just sell the team [or find a way to pretend he did, while retaining his interest], and move on.
Sarver has enough money to simply laugh at the pitiful efforts to damage him. :mad:
Better we express our agreement with the governor of Arizona - stop making excuses and enforce the law!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I realize he wouldn't go broke and move under a bridge but any damage done to him would be welcome and deserved. Perhaps the tangential effects would show others the need to ostracize people like Sarver. Anyone who condones criminal aliens doesn't deserve to be an American when you get right to it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I realize he wouldn't go broke and move under a bridge but any damage done to him would be welcome and deserved. Perhaps the tangential effects would show others the need to ostracize people like Sarver. Anyone who condones criminal aliens doesn't deserve to be an American when you get right to it.

This is America and people have a right to their opinions. To say a person does not deserve to be an American because their opinion differs from yours is once again driven by emotion. Statements driven by such things rather than facts or substantiated evidence do nothing but give the opposition fodder to make a person or group out as an over the top and irrational.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It has nothing to do with differing from my opinion, it has to do with being anti-American. Promoting anti-American behavior and supporting criminals violating the sovereignty of this nation is one of those. Just because someone is wrong and disagrees with me isn't an automatic disqualifier but when they endanger the nation and the rest of us then the verdict may change.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It has nothing to do with differing from my opinion, it has to do with being anti-American. Promoting anti-American behavior and supporting criminals violating the sovereignty of this nation is one of those. Just because someone is wrong and disagrees with me isn't an automatic disqualifier but when they endanger the nation and the rest of us then the verdict may change.

Look at the differences in your responses to his opinion and Gov. Brewers response. Which would you think is more convincing to someone on the fence about the issue or even the other side of it?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, I don't claim mine isn't the brash, in your face response that a jerk like that deserves. Hers is the politicians accurate but tempered response. I used to take a more toned down approach but after so many moronic liberals spouting so many idiotic ideas that are bad for the country I no longer worry about telling it like it is and if it hurts or offends an idiot that's just too bad. Hopefully it will smack them in the back of the head enough to wisen them up.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I love this response.

"What if the owners of the Suns discovered that hordes of people were sneaking into games without paying? What if they had a good idea who the gate-crashers are, but the ushers and security personnel were not allowed to ask these folks to produce their ticket stubs, thus non-paying attendees couldn't be ejected. Furthermore, what if Suns' ownership was expected to provide those who sneaked in with complimentary eats and drink? And what if, on those days when a gate-crasher became ill or injured, the Suns had to provide free medical care and shelter?" -Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer

This woman.....is tough as nails. God Bless her for not giving in to the pressures of the administration and all of those that are opposed to SB1070 and also for the comparative thinking that brought forth this explanation to those that just can't, for the life of them, understand what's going on here.

As good as this is, I don't think it's going to be the focus of the "press" tomorrow. SOMEONE ELSE'S opinion of the situation may just be the buzz that will consume the internet and the talk shows. Lovin' me a mess of these comments too!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know all she has to do is push for a simple law forbidding venues from preventing people bringing their own food and drinks. It seems that the owners of the teams who lease these venues have a monopoly on food and drinks.