APU's & biodiesel

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was just reading the spec the APU put out by 'Go Green" APU's. They are the bunch out of Altoona, PA, that bought the rights to "BlackRock'.

In the specs they say that their engine can handle biodiesel up to a 5% blend.

I don't recall seeing biodiesel blend info on other APU specs. Does that seem like a low blend considering that we seem to be headed to a world where a bio blend may soon be required?

Here is their link. I found it today while researching APU's

http://www.blackrockapu.com/

moose

Veteran Expediter
you did notice hoe is sitting in the WH, did you ?

but yes many states require Bio blends for some time now,
just look at the fuel pumps next time you fill'ErUp.
some states are so arrogant, they prohibit from posting the bland %tage on the pump, just to make sure costumers don't really know what they pay for.
this becomes a real problem in cold weather, as bio blends have less energy, do to the very nature of 'hot fuel',(bio diesel is typically hooter),
actually in cold weather, using a high blend of bio diesel, make us buy more fuel, there for increasing our national oil dependency... go figure.
in winter time, i normally fuel less in places that sell higher Bio Blends, it might cost more at the pump, or give less Hwy used tax credits, but i get way better fuel millage to offset that.

and no i never noticed ANY diesel motor limit itself for only 5% blend, on OTR application you simply cannot avoid those. most places sell a bio10, bio20 or more...IF you believe them,it's probably more then what is posted on the pump. so the 'black rock will be a no go.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Wait till this summer when people are having trouble feeding themselves and demonstrations out even food riots occur. It will be a little late at that point to say, "STOP BURNING OUR FOOD!"

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You use biodiesel in your reefer.

Your reefer engine is one of two engines that are used.

Your APU uses one of those reefer engines or a cat engine. I would venture to guess that there is no issue with the use of biodiesel.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You use biodiesel in your reefer.

Your reefer engine is one of two engines that are used.

Your APU uses one of those reefer engines or a cat engine. I would venture to guess that there is no issue with the use of biodiesel.

Yes, Greg, I know I use it in all my engines. I asked about this because of the spec sheet on the new "BlackRock" APU that states it should no use more than 5%.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
All engines ae running a percentage of bio deisel depending on where you are purchasing. Have been for quite some time. Won't hurt anything other than the freeze point is different. Just a sales gimmick.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I know what you are asking and thats the info I got by the engine manufacturer so I thought I would pass it on.

Amonger we have more food than we can use. We are a fat society that can do without the supersized bag of corn chips.

Last edited:

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Diesel engines were invented to run on BIO fuel, linseed oil I believe. I saw a guy on TV with a diesel Jeep he ran off grease from a fast food restaurant.

Anyway, "clean" biofuel is actually better for your eingine, my understanding is it burns cooler and has less grit in it. The downside is, it gels up quicker than petro which is why it is impractical for trucks. I hve noticed my Hino runs smoother with higher bioblends, I have used up to 20% belnd before.

I did not check fuel mileage so th smoother running is annecdotal.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Diesel engines were invented to run on BIO fuel, linseed oil I believe. I saw a guy on TV with a diesel Jeep he ran off grease from a fast food restaurant.

Anyway, "clean" biofuel is actually better for your eingine, my understanding is it burns cooler and has less grit in it. The downside is, it gels up quicker than petro which is why it is impractical for trucks. I hve noticed my Hino runs smoother with higher bioblends, I have used up to 20% belnd before.

I did not check fuel mileage so th smoother running is annecdotal.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

The original diesel engines in Germany were invented to run on bio fuels. Today's modern diesels are not. I am sure they that are making them better able to handle it as we speak. Lower BTU's in a gallon of bio. Nothing like paying more for less.

Make diesel from coal. Works better. Leave the food for food.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ah not really

The compression ignition engine diesel invented ran on peanut oil and other easily obtained oils. It wasn't until someone figured out how to get the injection timing right, I think it was Bosch, the engine was limited.

The science that is used for diesel engines goes far far beyond what Herr Diesel could imagine and yes as it was that we can run our diesels on peanut oil as he did, he would contend that economy takes over when you are using any engine.