apportioned registration?

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
it says on my orientation pack, bring apportioned registration, does that apply to my chevy express van as it is only 8600lbs gvw?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I would still call the recruiter or compliance. I worked for a carrier that still wanted me to have truck plates on the van. Never know when things change.

eb

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They may want you to have a commercial plate as opposed to a passenger car plate, but I don't think apportioned is even available for an under 10k vehicle.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ah FedEx, don't you just love it.

It has nothing to do with vans.

The package is an all in one thing and you will have to give them a copy of your registration anyway so it's just one of them things with FedEx.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Apportioned Registration" is the nickname for International Registration Plan, or what most people call IRP. Normally, or at least before the IRP program came into being, interstate truckers had to pay for trip permits for each state they traveled in or through, because you have to be registered in each state to operate there. The miles they drove in each state determined how much they have to pay to operate in that state. Because it's a hassle to stop in every state and get a permit, it discouraged many interstate trips and thus was a barrier to interstate commerce. It's basically a registration reciprocity agreement among the contiguous United States and Canadian profinces which provides payment of license fees on the basis of total distance operated in all jurisdictions. I think it was back in the early 70's when the IRP program began, but it took a lot of years to finally get everyone on board.

The IRP program was introduced to promote and encourage the fullest possible use of the national highway system, by authorizing the apportioned registration of fleets of motor vehicles and the recognition of apportioned registered vehicles in other states, thus contributing to the economic and social development and growth of the states.

Basically, you register your vehicle in your "base" state, the state in which you live, or in the case of a carrier-owned fleet, the state in which their business is located, and the registration fee paid is determined by the percentage of miles traveled in each state. The registrant then reports the mileage for each state to the base state, and the base state calculates the fees due and collects the fees for each state. The base state then distributes the monies to the appropriate states.

Vehicles are eligible for apportionment under the provisions of the International Registration Plan if they meet the following criteria:

• Intended for use in two or more jurisdictions
  • Is a power unit having two axles and a gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds (11,794 kg)
  • Is used in combination, when the weight exceeds 26,000 pounds (11,794 kg) gross vehicle weight
  • Is a power unit having three or more axles
Trailers also used to be apportioned, but as 2002 they no longer are, despite some states still issuing them. Old habits, and revenue streams, die hard.

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
I figured it was a general orientation package, and the apportioned bit does not apply to me, i will check anyway, dont want to drive 1100 miles to ohio unprepared, got the etrack installed today, that is a pain in the butt install on the floor of a chevy express, its cost me $500 so far to setup the van for fedex, im leaving home (florida) friday for Akron ohio, trying to find a load to help pay for the gas/ hotel for orientation up there........