Apportioned Plate Questions..

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Hi guys, the truck is almost ready to rock, with the exception of the plates. Panther says I need 48 state apportioned plates, and ontario. I've been reading through the ICC maunal thingy for michigan, and it talks about miles ran in each state, and weitghts, and goods hauled, etc. Too much info for me to figure it out. Can anybody give me someguidance as to how I do this process? I'd love to get a rough estimate as to how much cash I'll be laying down for this too, If it gets too high I'll have to find more financing. Tghe examples listed in the michigan site say that running 4 states will be like $2,000 a year. If that's true 48 states would be near $24,000 for license plates. Tell me this isn't true!!!!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It won't be $24,000
I don't know the exact cost on Michigan, but you need an IRP registration from Michigan. A state license bereau or Michigan state dot will have information.
This link will get you started and provides numbers to get you started.

http://www.truckingsafety.org/guidebook/regis_fuel_tax.htm

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
well, the i.r.p office is in lansing, they give you a form...and you fill it out and inform them how many miles you intend to run in each state, and at what weight,(32,000 LBS.), for me it was how many i'd run last year. each state appropriates an amount per mile,(ontario also), my plates were about $1200.00 so its not too bad. by the way...i was watching your truck on e-bay...was considering throwing down a bid myself....it looks pretty sweet! my old boss had two of them, she liked them alot. i never drove one but like the way they look and the way they're set up...good power strong tranny nice sleeper. i read you did some cosmetic stuff, the frame, some paint and stuff, it sounds great! good luck bud! :)

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the input. I don't have a way of giving them how many miles i ran last year, as I've been at this for 2 months, so i'm gonna call my guy at Panther II and see what he says. $1200 is a bit better, but will still eat up most of my cashflow. I'm going to try to go for the sales tax exemption somehow.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't know about Michigan but in Florida you can estimate miles traveled for the first go around. After the first year you then list the actual miles driven for the states that you wish to be apportioned in. If you did not drive in a state that you need to be apportioned in Florida has a math formula to use for the estimated
mileage. It is based on the total mileage for the last year multiplied by a very small number such as .0068 which they then calculate the fee for that state.

My license plates generally run about $7-800 a year.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can only tell you about Texas but maybe it will be a little help. When you apply for the plate they hand you a sheet that has every state and province listed along with how many miles to put on the form if you haven't got your own actual miles to go by. When you renew they expect you to have your own numbers but you can get those from your quarterly fuel tax report. My initial registration on a 33k Sterling was about $550 and the renewal was only about $50-60 more using actual miles. I hope that helps some. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
JohnO is right. It is all the same in every state for IRP since they are sharing with all states except NM & OR so the rate is the same. Now the registratin can vary state to state. Right at a thousand for all reg DOT and IRP should do it.

I do not know why I must have a seperate DOT # when I leased onto someone but its rule.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Congratulations! Be sure to add your truck number to your sig file as soon as you get it.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
Leo, we just bought our truck and had it apportioned and registered in Texas. They told us that we need to keep track of the states we traveled in, miles per state and the highways traveled. we got a paper to fill out for every load that has all that info needed an unit # BOL# origin/destination, beginning date/ending date, beginning/ending odometer and total miles. Panther even said the state of Texas did this and they ask for supposedly after 90 days a number of the pages of dates they want. I say supposedly cause now only a month in we were sent a paper in mail saying they want all the days so far and to keep doing this and they added to list major cities you drive through.

Do you or anyone else know who to talk to so I don't need to do all this extra paperwork?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wish I could give you the answer you want but it has to be done. I just picked up my paperwork from being chosen for a random audit. It's no big deal with the documentation, just a nuisance, but without it it might be a big deal.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
---->Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447 <------

Leo,

Did you move your trucks to Panther or are you still with landstar?

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
Hey Leo another question.
How much time do they give you to send in the papers after you recieve the audit order, and how many days do they usually ask for at a time?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am solely with Panther now. It's easier to keep track of things with one company than two. Panther did a good job for me with the first truck so I am growing my business with them.

When I got my audit notice it was to bring in 2 quarters worth of 2005 forms. I think I had 30 days to get them in. What I'm doing now is using columnar sheets like these:

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=105932&Ntt=columnar&uniqueSearchFlag=true&An=text

I've got a running log by date showing starting, ending and total per state miles in the 3 columns. The date and state go in the blanks to the left. I also have sheets for every state I run in. I take the info and put on the page for each specific state as well. That way I have a chronological record as well as a state by state record. They can't ask for any more specific mileage information than that.

EO Forum Moderator
----------